Brake Pad Suggestions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

maybe a little late, but i just got my pads for a great deal!!
these are for my wilwood dynalite calipers
1 set of Hawk HP Plus pads (street/track)
1 set of Hawk Black pads (track only)
both sets, shipped to my door for 80 bucks!
if you guys want deals on Hawk pads call
(800) 733-8380
and tell them Mike Outland sent you.

Originally posted by manekineko@Feb 26 2003, 06:42 PM
Could someone give me some recommendations on this? I'm a newbie and don't really know much...

I have a V6 LX 1995 Accord, and my brake pads need to be changed front and rear. I was thinking about doing it myself, and was wondering what a good brake pad would be for normal use? I don't race, and mainly drive local, but on the highway drive pretty fast and aggressively. So I definitely don't need any racing pads, especially since how long they last is pretty important to me. But, if they last long, cost isn't too big a deal to me either. So is there any reason for me not to get cheap OEM's? Stock? Or should I go for some aftermarket 3rd party brake pads?

Thanks for any help in advance!

do you have aftermarket wheels or do you try to keep your OEM wheels clean?

If dust bugs you alot, look into a ceramic pad. Any organic or semi matalics use alot of carbon in them and when carbon burns, it turns black (brake dust). I would not reccomend you go any lower than OEM quaility. Things like organic pads (like $10 a set) will last for like a year and have tons of brake dust. Semi Matalics normally have a life time warentee (sp?), are basicly OEM style. Down sides to them is brake dust.

Look on TireRack.com for some pads, they normally have a decent selection to look at. If you find something that you like, look around the internet for that part and normally you can find it cheaper (but TireRack.com has extremly fast shipping.

One thing I have learned from modifying my car is that the performance game is all about compromise. By going with a kevlar or ceramic(both dust free) pad, will I lose braking performance? I'm going with EBC Greenstuff unless anyone can give me a good reason to go with a brake pad that produces dust.

By going with a kevlar or ceramic(both dust free) pad, will I lose braking performance?

No, braking will normally impove through out the board. If you go with a strickly race pad (not advised) you will see a loss in braking when the pads are still cold. The Hawk Blues are like these. The only thing that you will experience is your performance brake pads (kevlar or ceramic) will have a shorter life then normal semi matalics. Normally they will last a year or so if you drive alot. Also the performance pads sometimes causes your rotors to go quicker. Basicly just have them turned when you replace the pads next year or whatever (2 sets of pads to every one rotor normally)

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 26 2003, 11:05 PM
No, braking will normally impove through out the board.

Do you mean over stock? I knew that, I just meant will a ceramic/kevlar pad be inferior to a carbon metallic pad in braking performance? I mean, if they were equal, wouldn't most people just go with dust-free pads?

Back