Brake pads dusting?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CFweave

Every time I read a thread about high performance brake pads, someone mentions "dusting"...what exactly is this? Sorry to post a stupid question but I have no clue what that means :D

dusting is when the brake pad wears, brake dust gets all over the wheels. High performance pads will dust alot. So if you have white wheels and you step up to some cobalt friction pads, your going to hate your wheels.

Ok thanks...I thought that's what dusting meant but I wasn't sure. Is it as big a problem with silver wheels?

right now I have my stock 95 sol wheels. They are a kinda thing 5 spoke painted silver rim. It is horrible. But, I really dont give a shit when it comes to my wheels, so its not a big deal. My normal wheels, which have no tread on them right now, are dark bronze, so its not really that big of a deal. They turn duller and darker within a day or so, but I wash them about once a month :)

The wheels on both my civic and my miata are caked in brake dust right now, I have no intention of cleaning it off either as the civic looks like shit as it is, and the miata is not running.

this is why dark rims kick ass :)

Back