brake problem..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

when i say nothing, i mean the pedal doesnt stiffen .. it goes for the floor..
ok, lets say the car is running and you pump the pedal a few times then hold it
will the pedal hold for a second and then slowly drop to the floor?
this is a sign of a bad master
if your master is bad you can be bleeding all day and never get the air out

no.. see, thats the thing.. it almost hits the floor just hitting the brakes... i dont need to pump the brakes then hold for it to go to the floor it does it anyways..

no.. see, thats the thing.. it almost hits the floor just hitting the brakes... i dont need to pump the brakes then hold for it to go to the floor it does it anyways..
ok, they use brake fluid instead of air because air compresses, where as fluid does not...
so when you are first hitting the brakes, you need to compress the air beyond the force needed to make the brakes function...
once the air is fully compressed, then you start to slow down...

now i'm asking, if you pump the pedal and then hold it, does it stay, or does it leak down towards the floor? pumping the pedal is compressing the air...
just hitting the pedal won't tell me a damn thing about your problem...

reckedracing said:
ok, lets say the car is running and you pump the pedal a few times then hold it
will the pedal hold for a second and then slowly drop to the floor?

no it doesnt drop to the floor..

sounds like your master is good so you should be able to get the rest of the air out...

what method do you use to bleed your brakes?

never really bled my brakes before... i just released the pressure so i could get the caliper over the brake pad.

It sounds like you got air in the system. If you bled, bled, bled and did more bleeding then 1)you aren't bleeding them correctly or 2)you pushed trash back up into your master when you compressed your caliper pistons.
What was your method of bleeding the brakes?

Brake bleeding:

Disconnect the negative battery cable, put your best italian accent on and say "Are a you a insultin' ma momma's cookin'??

And you stab 'em with a knive until they stop twitching. Careful not to spill your spaghetti in the process. Be certain to kiss them on the mouth and tell them you loved them just as they are fading out.

At least I think thats what haynes said to do...

Last edited:
phyregod said:
Brake bleeding:

Disconnect the negative battery cable, put your best italian accent on and say "Are a you a insultin' ma momma's cookin'??

And you stab 'em with a knive until they stop twitching. Careful not to spill your spaghetti in the process. Be certain to kiss them on the mouth and tell them you loved them just as they are fading out.

At least I think thats what haynes said to do...
Lol. now that's how you bleed brakes...

Id like to know how you ended up fixing this problem since i have been having the same problem on my car. Only it seems that the more I use the brakes then they start to soften up until the point i have the brake pedal all the way on the floor. I hope I just have air in the lines but a busted master sounds more right. The brakes work fine at first but like after being in traffic i actually have to pull the ebrake to keep the car from moving forward.

Any resolution would help let me know.

I have the same problem... When the car is off the pedal is really hard but went you start the car it goes almost to the floor. ITS NOT THE MC cause i had a good one from before. im trying to see if its both the calipers.

Back