Brake Retainer?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Frankie P.

Hey guys, I am back not that any of you really care, but oh well. I am having massive problems with my brakes, which is the reason why I am starting this whole thread of course. Anyway, here is the situation, I changed my brakes but was having a problem with them get extremely hot, to the point where they were smoking a lot. So, I didn't want/have time to take them all off and do it all over again, so I went to a Brake Masters, and they fixed that problem and resurfaced my rotors for me. Well, the problem is the retainer, I guess you can call it is busted and is rubbing on my rotor non-stop. This is only in the back though, but I am not sure if it was me or the place that did this. They cut the back rotors and this is where it is happening, now I am wondering if I can just take the thing out and if it will be ok, or do I need to buy a new piece?

1. What kind of car do you have?

2. "I went to a Brake Masters, and they fixed that problem " Apparantly not.

3. What is this retainer you speak of?

4. It sounds to me like you have some frozen calipers that arent returning, which is keeping your brake pads in contact with rotor all the time, overheating them and warping your rotors.

Luckily for you, you already went to a shop and they "fixed" the problem, so if your good at bitching and complaining, you outta be able to get a free set of calipers out of em. Have funny.

-Chris

Well, I will just take pics I am going to a buddie's house to see what we can do, but I will take some pics, they will probably do a better job of explaining than me.

I think I know what you're talking about. The little shaped piece of metal that holds the pad in place? I forget the proper name, but sometimes they can fall out if not inserted correctly, and will rub ont he rotor.

Sounds like a case of rusted/fused sliders to me...

Might have to end up purchasing an entire "loaded" caliper assembly to fix it.

Junkyard. Best bet. Was $10 for my buddy's 240sx.

Well I figured out the problem, I installed some pads from a '94 accord just to see what would happen, and Kragen gave me the wrong pads. I asked for a '02 SI, and they seemed to be the same size as my others, but I don't know what happend. Now the retainer thing doesn't rub at all and the brakes are better. I don't know what happend, but from now on I am buying '94 accord pads for my ep3.

Back