Brake sensitivity

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zueke

Alright, so both my brother and I have Del Sols. It comes in handy when we are trying to compare something like an assembly, a noise, or in this case pedal travel. My brakes have been bled the same way as his, (push pedal, open valve, release pedal, close valve), on all 4 wheels, but my pedal travel goes in like 3 inches before any braking occurs. His on the other hand, almost full braking occurs at 2 inches. (Noticable braking at 1 inch)

So my question I guess is does the procedue for bleeding the brakes sound right? If so, then is there anywhere else in the line that could have air that I don't know about bleeding?

Finally, my car is a 1994 with stock lines, and his a 93 with stock lines. Is it possible that my lines just need replacement?

Ideas?

i doubt that your lines are going to give you that much pedal travel, however, stainless steall lines do cut pedal travel to almost nothing before the brakes activate. Pull off your mastercylinder (keep lines attached so not to leak any fluid) have your brother push the pedal down, and measure the pushrod travel.

Originally posted by zueke@Apr 12 2004, 11:03 PM
push pedal, open valve, release pedal, close valve

Unless that was a typo, you may be sucking air into your lines. If the valve is open when you release the pedal, you'll pull air into the lines while doing so. If you don't have one of those one-man brake bleeding kits it should be more like:

Slight pressure on pedal
Open valve
Push pedal
Close valve
Release pedal

That way when you let up on the pedal, air isn't pulled into the lines, only brake fluid from the master cylinder. Make sure to keep it topped up while doing so.

lol, I didn't even catch that. Yea, if your bleeding that way, your sucking up air. Pump a few times with the valve closed, hold the pedal with pressure on oit, then open the valve. Fluid will squirt out and the pedal will drop to the floor, then close the valve, then it is safe to let go of the pedal. Repeat several times. It is a good idea to put a clear hose over the bleeder screw, and put the other end in a jar, so that way you can see air bubbles coming out.

Be sure to bleed the wheel farthest from the master cylinder. So rear right, rear left, front right, and front left.

Do it in that order.

Bleeding sequence for '95 civic del sol is:

1. RR
2. FL
3. RL
4. FR

as for your problem, you might check behind your brake pedal for the pushrod locknut position...

Back