Brake/Suspension Swap on 90 Civic HB

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Aquariust

Hello all,

I have a 90 civic hb with disks in the front and drums in the back. I just bought a 89 integra with 4 wheel discs, and I'd like to do a swap.

Should I just change the brakes over, or should I replace the whole suspension system and the brakes?

Are the integra front brakes bigger than the civics? (rotors?)

I've read that the integra brakes are better thank civics. In fact I have seen alot of scca race civics (4th gen and crx's) with full integra brake/suspension swaps. Now of course they're probaly using 94+ integra brakes and suspension, but an 89's is probaly better than my civics.

If I do change the suspension over, do I have to change everything like a arms, and supports for the suspension, or do I utilize just the spring assembly and the civics a arms, supports, etc...

Is there anything with the ecu that changes because of the new 4w disc brakes?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks John

you will need..
1.trailing arms (will come with calipers and rotors) from a teg or 90-91 Si crx

2.CRX Si (90-91) ebrake cables (the teg ones will work but are too long and will need to be modified)

3. teg prop valve (all rear disk prop valves have "4040" stamped on them)
and an 89 integra M/C (direct bolt in) or 90-93 teg brake booster and M/C

go here http://www.fourthgenhatch.com/index2.html then to to technical, then how to, then go to the rear disc conversion. very good how to with pics. hope this helps

for the front suspension, the integra knuckles will bolt on, but they are shaped differently, so your alignment will be off. you can get 90-91 civic ex knuckles, 90-93 accord wagon calipers (which are the same as itr calipers), and 93-up prelude vtec rotors (have the lugs redrilled to 4x100) and you will have type r sized brakes up front. just make sure that you upgrade the master cylinder too.

First of all what you have will not work properly. The 89 Integra is a 1st gen and the brakes are a direct bolton for a 1st gen CRX or 3rd gen Civic. What you need are the 2nd gen 90-93 brakes. When you get them you will use the complete trailing arms and ebrake cables for the rear. The fronts you can use but you have to use the 90-93 front knuckle or 90-91 EX or SiR knuckles. Good luck on finding the later 2. If you use the 90-93 knuckles you better have camber kits. The stock M/C will work as well as the prop valve but if you have them change them out. If you change the M/C get the ABS M/C as it is 1" ABS instead of 7/8" non-ABS and you have to change the booster as well but they boltin with no problems. For brakes lines use the 90-93 lines for the rear and front. I prefer SS lines. Then get a good 4 wheel alignment. Also the 90-93 knuckle are 1" taller then the stock knuckles.

86-89 Integra brakes 9.5" front/9" disc rear
88-91 Civic brakes 9.5" front/drum rear.
88-89 CRX brakes 9.5" front/drum rear
90-91 CRX brakes 9.5" front/9.1" disc rear
90-91 Civic EX/SiR 10.1" front/9.1" disc rear
90-93 Integra Brakes 10.1" front/9.1" disc rear
94+ Integra brakes 10.1" front/9.4" disc rear

Well question 1 would be if I swap out 9.5" civic rotors and calipers, and swap in 9.5" integra rotors and calipers, will there be any difference? Obviously the back going from drums to discs is gonna be much better.

Well question 1 would be if I swap out 9.5" civic rotors and calipers, and swap in 9.5" integra rotors and calipers, will there be any difference? Obviously the back going from drums to discs is gonna be much better.

What about the suspension, is there any sense doing any of that?

Back