BRAKE UPGRADE?

which is the best bang for its buck Brake upgrade?

• DA Brakes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hybrid brake upgrade

• DC2 brakes

• Just improve my HF front brakes(pads,roto

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SaMMaE01

Im not completely sure if this a general thing but, my HF brakes suck ass. and i want to have confidence in my brakes and of course be safe, So which of these are my best bet? A buddy of mine told me that the wilwoods are almost like upgrading my stock HFs with better pads and rotors, im not sure about the other ones, and at the moment, i dont have the cash to get rear disk and upgrade the fronts, if i do get rear disk, i would just only have enough to get pads and rotors for the front. The brakes will be the beginning of the exterior work on my rex, motor i believe is complete, i dont think i need anymore mods, just upgrades, im pretty satisfied i guess , but the brakes are the question now.

SaM

why do you need "big" brakes....auto x, drag...if not just buy a teg brake conversion

without getting some idea of what you are driving the car for, I say DA brakes because they're pretty easy to find and they're somewhat better than the stock units.

I put 91 teg front brakes in my car and 93 SI rear discs. For the price of all the parts 350 or around there. you really couldnt get much better for the price. I value the rear discs over the bigger front disc and rear drums that i see alot of people still rocking

P.s. i did all this to my 89 HF. if your going to do it dont skimp half way through. get a master cylender from a CRX SI only. I havnt gotten around to doing it yet but with out it the peddal goes down more then i would like it to.

Thanks for your reply Drpenguin, I see what your sayin, get DA front brakes, and get rear disk also huh? that was my initial idea, but i heard from a few people that is less hassle and better stopping power with just a big front brake kit. but what about those hybrid brakes? the ones that utilizes itr pads or something, i saw it Honda-tech http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1171175

they seem pretty good

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 23 2005, 01:11 PM
without getting some idea of what you are driving the car for, I say DA brakes because they're pretty easy to find and they're somewhat better than the stock units.
[post=559367]Quoted post[/post]​

Plus with a nice rotor/pad upgrade on those you will have MORE than enough stopping power for your car.

DA fronts are not the optimal choice. The steering knuckle is taller and has clearance issues, especially on lowered vehicles. You want 89-91 Civic EX Sedan front brakes. Same size rotors and calipers as the DA, but the height of the steering knuckle is the same height as stock HF. The DA rears are perfect.

Well my car is stock height. When my back brakes went out i could have had them changed by meineke for 150. i saved myself 150 and and just put the rear discs in. If you can find a civic EX then get the brakes. Around here i have only seen one ex. So I use what i have in the junk yards. If you need anyhelp or any pics of this hit me up and i will get them to you. The only problem I really had was the front breaks. After installing them I couldnt use the stock 13 inch rims i had. I had to to goto a 15 to fit the front discs. But i put 99 si rims on so im all good now. Oh also arnt the EX hubs only for D series motors? I used the DA front breaks cause i put the b16 in. Im also trying to use honda parts where i can so when i go into a dealership when im out of town they will work on my car. You roll in there with a shit ton of mods and they wont work on your car.

Im done for anyway, i dont think Capitol honda(local dealership) will work on my b16 turbo CRX lol but thanks for the advice, im not going to hunt those parts down.

Sam

Originally posted by drpenguin@Sep 24 2005, 01:20 PM
Well my car is stock height. When my back brakes went out i could have had them changed by meineke for 150. i saved myself 150 and and just put the rear discs in. If you can find a civic EX then get the brakes. Around here i have only seen one ex. So I use what i have in the junk yards. If you need anyhelp or any pics of this hit me up and i will get them to you. The only problem I really had was the front breaks. After installing them I couldnt use the stock 13 inch rims i had. I had to to goto a 15 to fit the front discs. But i put 99 si rims on so im all good now. Oh also arnt the EX hubs only for D series motors? I used the DA front breaks cause i put the b16 in. Im also trying to use honda parts where i can so when i go into a dealership when im out of town they will work on my car. You roll in there with a shit ton of mods and they wont work on your car.
[post=559840]Quoted post[/post]​

a brake swap isn't that tough man. you can do it yourself. just don't use goodridge lines or napa wheel bearings... :rant:

wilwoods and brembo are both bad-ass... but the true fact remains, that you just don't freakin need 'em for a daily driver or a drag car.

i'd suggest the following as a cheapo setup that works pretty darn good.
91 ex sedan (coupe are smaller) brake conversion up front.
brembo blanks for tha model
hawk hps pads
and a good dot3 brake fluid.

the rear drums and sock master/booster should be more than enough stopping power for a daily driver.

I agree.

On my previous car I used stock blanks, and HPS pads. In the rear, I cleaned up the drums and used quality shoes. I had strong braking power from 120 mph down to zero. Just don't do it over and over in succession.

I am currently upgrading my EX, which happens to have rear discs. Same deal. Four new discs and HPS pads all around. Change the fluid, and I'm good to go.

way overkill for street use
braking will be VERY uneven f/r
and you can only run 16"+ rims
and the added weight will slow your acceleation (as will the larger / heavier 16"+ rims

single pistons for 550? pricey on top of that... i paid that for my 4-pistson 11" kit...

overkill bro. you dont need it. stick with the basic oem upgrades.

Alright, thanks alot guys, thats all i needed to know. the last comments from e solsi and pissedoffsol was all i needed to hear to make my conclusions, thanks everyone

Back