brakes problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kricket3000

93 4door lx, when i come to a stop i can take my foot off the brakes and they still stay locked a little, if i'm on a hill it will then roll. i have tryed bleeding the brakes,new pad and rotors. it's like they are holding vacuum or the piston on the caliper is sticking? any ideas? i thought about putting some brake duct fans in, like NASCAR but i was worried i would only be able to go left!:mullet:who's your driver!!!!!!!! (sorry for the rant)

caliper for me as well. you're not leaking brake fluid from brakes?
plus you could check the brake booster. u are prob on ur original calipers anyways.
Q: I am not certain my brake booster is OK, how do I check I?
A: From the Mk1CRX group on Yahoo groups: To test the brake booster, try
the following procedures: 1. With the engine off, press the brake pedal
several times. Then press it hard and hold that pressure for 15 seconds.
If the pedal sinks, a brake line, wheel cylinder or master cylinder is
faulty. 2. Start the engine with the pedal pressed. If the pedal sinks
slightly, the booster is working. if the pedal height doesn't vary, the
booster or check valve is faulty. 3. Press the brake pedal with the engine
running. Then stop the engine. If the pedal height does not vary for 30
seconds the booster is OK. If the pedal rises, the booster is faulty. 4.
With the engine off press the pedal several times with normal pressure.
When the pedal is first pressed, it should be low. On consecutive
applications, pedal height should gradually rise. If pedal height does not
vary, check booster check valve.

there is a square cut ring around the piston, i think that is sticking and causing ur problem, replace the ring or replace the caliper

I have the same issue? but i just replaced my MC and booster, you found an answer to your issue yet?

Hey just a heads up I replaced my MC and booster, and had to fine tune the booster adjustment and all is well at this point.

ya i was going to say its your booster,

TEST:

start car,
pump brake once or twice so you know there is pressure, then pump and hold the pressure on the last one,
shut the car off,
hold for 30+ seconds and if you have the same amount of pressure your brake system should be fine(meaning no significant leaks and your master cylinder and brake booster are functioning properly.) BUT CHECK EVERY CONNECTION AND MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO LEAKS!!! Have a mechanic help obviously...

NOW...

No leaks and your pedal stayed firm, if your car still has a sticky brake or pulls to one side constantly you probably have a stuck caliper (or rear drum cylinder). An easy way to see which caliper it is, is to get an inexpensive heat gun and test to see if one rotor is blazing hot, severe cases will blue the metal.

If your pedal SINKS its indication that your master brake cylinders seal has cracked and is leaking.

If your pedal STARTS TO RISE OR BUILD PRESSURE its a good indication that your brake vacuum booster is shot.

I went into such detail because... EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THIS!!! Its not common knowledge but man oh man people its your fundamental basics of a car, learn how to change your oil, tranny fluid, brakes, and make sure that your ball-joints tie-rods and wheel-bearings are ok to drive on. it takes maybe 15 min a month to give your own vehicle an inspection, LEARN HOW.

hope this helps everyone..."I don't care if your pos runs, i just want your pos to be able to stop."

Back