1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brakes/rotors

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by jamesA, Apr 21, 2004.

1. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

What kind of brakes and rotors do you guys recommend? I thought about EBC green stuff or Stop tech pads, but I'm unsure of any real worthwhile rotor out there.

I don't care about "cross drilled and slotted" or if it really gives any noticable difference, I just want something that truly does make a difference.

Also, what kind of brake lines and fluid should I run with whichever rotors/pads?

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Toss the EBCs- they like to break up in chunks. Get some street compound Hawk, Axxis, or Porterfield pads. There are a lot of other good brands out there too- those are just 3 of the popular ones. Run with new Brembo blanks.

If you want to go with a larger rotors, there are tons of upgrade options out there. Do some research. If you want to just upgrade your current setup, follow the formula above.

You can add Goodridge lines and some good DOT4 brake fluid, along with a set of SpeedBleeders to make life a little easier. I prefer Motul RBF600 brake fluid, a few of the other mods like ATE Super Blue- but if you're in a pinch and want a good cheap DOT4 fluid that's actually still pretty damn good, get a big 1 quart bottle of Valvoline DOT4 synthetic at AutoZone for $3. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the Motul I pay $10-$12 a pint for.

3. jamesA

well I figure i can keep the same rotor size because thats not what matters, what matters is the clamping force on the area of the pad surface. I completely forgot about axxis and Hawk brand pads. If I get a brake setup I'd want it to be all one company. i.e. pads and rotors hawk, pads and rotors brembo, etc.

Thanks for the advice I'll check it out more now that I have a starting point to go from.

:worthy:

4. phunky.buddha

Staying with all one brand isn't all that important or desirable, mostly because there's rarely one company that makes everything well. Good pad manufacturers don't necessarily make good discs, even if they DO make them.

By the way, rotor size DOES matter quite a bit- but the stock hardware can definitely be improved quite a bit by upgrading to better materials, like the Brembo discs and a more aggressive pad compound.

5. jamesA

well it does matter, but putting larger rotors on and keeping with the same size pads won't make much of a difference which is what i meant. I dunno how much larger I could get and still fit them under the Si rims. My brakes are already pretty damn good, but i'm looking for a little more bite.

6. phunky.buddha

Going up on rotor size but keeping the contact patch and force the same DOES make a big difference- not as big as upgrading your calipers and pads together with the rotor size, but it does matter. You're increasing the length of the lever arm created by the center of your pad's contact patch and the center of the wheel- so you have more leverage, and therefore more braking power. Every little bit helps.

7. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

Brembo blank rotors
    Hawk HPS pads (for mostly agressive street) or HP+ (if you plan to do a good amount of track use)
    ATE super blue fluid (or other DOT 4 fluid)

8. phunky.buddha

9. E_SolSi

oh yeah one more thing incase you do decide to go with the HP+ (or any other VERYYYY agressive street/track pad)

if you are the type of person that wants to keep their rims spotless... these are not for you
    if you are the kind of person that cares if your brakes are noisy... these are not for you

they are loud.... they will squeel a lot... they will eat through rotors like a fat bitch on a donut... LOTS of dust (dust is actually from the rotor not the pad)

but they will also never fade out on you... and they will give you consistant stopping force that is damn near offensive :)

i love mine (HP+) but im just pointing out that they are not for everyone

10. phunky.buddha

Do you have to warm up the HP+ before they'll work well?

11. E_SolSi

no they dont need to be warmed up (if they do its not much)
    they do grip a little better after youve hit the brakes a few times

but its not like a full out track pad where you dont have shit for stopping power when they are cold

12. phunky.buddha

Ah, ok. Like those piece of crap Polymatrix D pads that I just threw away, and I had less than 2000 miles on them.

Just how noisy are they? The Polymatrix D pads were audible for about 3 full city blocks. They were THAT loud.

13. E_SolSi

these just squeel a little under light/normal braking (stopping at a light etc)
    its not even really that loud... sounds like any other car with squeeky brakes (only these are squeeking cuz its just what they do, not cuz they are shot to hell and need to be replaced :) )

they dont do it all the time either ... its kinda weird
    it isnt temperature related (they will squeel or not squeel regardless if they are cold or hot as hell)
    definatly seems to be pressure related

http://www.hawkperformance.com/product_features.cfm

14. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

If you don't feel like buying brembro blanks, just buy autozone rotors (get the 1 yr warrenty ones, about 20 a peice) They are basicly the same thing. I know tons of track people that use them and have never had problems. Good quality, and nice and cheap.

For pads, currently I am running the Cobalt friction GT sports. They are a little more aggressive then a normal street pad, but not an all out track pad. Kinda inbetween. I love them. However, same thing that E said about the hawks are ture with these.

If your looking at upgrading lines, look at stoptechs. They are a tad more money (150ish for the set vs about 100 for goodrich) However, what I really like about them, they have a plastic coating around them to keep road shit out of the steel braids.

ATE fluid is Pretty good, however it starts to boil at extreme tempatures. I have yet to have a problem, but I have yet to go all out on a roadcourse, they have (only did one HPDE). My freind Jack, (98IntegraLS on here) has had great results with Wilwood's fluid, which suprisingly is a dot3 (kinda has a low wet boiling point) A little more expensive (like $6 a pint, vs 10-15 a liter for ATE)

15. StyleTEG

StyleTEG Senior Member

Yup, Autozone rotors = own.

With stock sized rotors, keep in mind they all are just cast iron. Brembo may throw some crap like better tolerences at you, but in reality they are going to perform and last the same.

ATE fluid boils and absorbs water easily, I would either use a quality dot3 like wilwood or Ford HD. Or go all out and get motoul.

16. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

james- you CAN'T upgrade to a bigger rotor....

why? cuz you want to run yoru stock wheels, and you said you plan to get another set. not going to happen. most larger brakes are going to require AT LEAST a 16, and most a 17" wheel to fit properly without spacers or cutting/shaving.

17. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

If your talking about an aftermarket brake kit, you can upgrade to the fastbrakes setup that you can run 15's (will also cost you 1500)

or if you want to run your calipers for a cheaper setup, fastbrakes has this...

here

18. phunky.buddha

Sure he can. FastBrakes has an 11.75 inch kit that will fit under his 99-00 Si wheels just fine. My 11 inch kit fits under my GSRs without any problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Sobe_Death

Sobe_Death Senior Member

yeah, just get the autozone rotors with the warranty, then when you warp them driving and braking too hard, just take em back for some free replacements!! tons of weekend racers do this, im suprised they still even offer the warranty on rotors...

20. phunky.buddha

AutoZone lifetime warranties are awesome. :thumbsup:

You should see how many transactions I have on axles for each one of my Civics!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted