Brakes!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Cn any one tell me whats a good brake setup thats the most cost effective. I want something i can beat the fuck out of and not worry yet it needs to fit in 16 inch weels. i dont wanna be confined to 17's. I was thinking wilwood. any ideas? I really want something thats not gonna fade. I mean it probably wont see anything more then some AutoX but i wanna know i can ride the fuck out of them with no fade or warpage. If any one knows for a fact (first hand) a set up thats just replacement type rotors and pads that will do this im all ears but from what i can tell at the very least what im gonna be looking for is a big brake type kit. This going by my request for something i can ride the fuck out of. i just dont wanna worry yet dont wanna spend 1.5k on some spoon calipers to only still use stock size rotors. Though if you think that will cut it then let me know cause they do look tasty and that may have to be my braking goal. I really wanna fit something in a 16" wheel. I already have brake lines so thats not an issue.

I really think the wilwood kit for the front is the way to go, its like 800 bucks and i really just want something way better up front the back will come but the front needs to be delt with.

I'm very satisfied with my FastBrakes kit, and it fits under 15 inch factory wheels. The Polymatrix pads that ship with Wilwood rotors really suck though, so you'll want to upgrade to something else like Hawk, Axxis, Porterfield or some other brand of pad that you like.

I got the 11 inch kit all around, and it cost $1042 shipped for all four corners including slotted rotors and SS lines up front (different fittings for the Wilwood calipers).

brakes_teins_inst_med_02.jpg

brakes_teins_inst_med_04.jpg

Clearance to GSR wheel:

wilwood_clearance_med_01.jpg

So my Good Ridge brake lines will not work with the wilwood kit? By the way thanks for the picutes and all, nice post.

a cheap and popular combo is brembo blanks with ebc greenstuff/hawk hp pads and some high temp brake fluid.

Originally posted by handlebarsfsr@Sep 9 2004, 07:07 PM
a cheap and popular combo is brembo blanks with ebc greenstuff/hawk hp pads and some high temp brake fluid.
[post=388226]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes i consderd this type of a set up and have come to the conclusion im gonna need some at the very least one step above that type of a basic set up. Plus see i got so many speeding tickets im gonna have some fun slowing down now ;)

Originally posted by UDT+Sep 9 2004, 06:27 PM-->
So my Good Ridge brake lines will not work with the wilwood kit? By the way thanks for the picutes and all, nice post.
[post=388219]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks!

I had a full Goodridge line set on my car before the Wilwood kit went on, and I had to use the new lines that came from FastBrakes. The stock lines have a different fitting at the caliper when compared to the Wilwoods. You'll need new SS lines for Wilwood calipers, and probably for almost any aftermarket caliper setup.

UDT
@Sep 9 2004, 09:56 PM
Yes i consderd this type of a set up and have come to the conclusion im gonna need some at the very least one step above that type of a basic set up. Plus see i got so many speeding tickets im gonna have some fun slowing down now ;)
[post=388287]Quoted post[/post]​

I would honestly stay away from the EBC pads- they have a reputation for chunking under stress. I've never experienced it myself, but you know how it goes... tons of people on Honda-Tech talking about it, which means it's probably just two people who had a bad experience and then all of a sudden everyone "had it happen to them too" even if they don't own cars.

Just to let you know how good the FastBrakes kit is- I was able to pull 0.88G of braking force from 70-10mph, and that was on street tires, crappy pads (the Polymatrix Q) and grooved rotors (I put it together wrong the first time and scored the discss). With better pads and new rotors, I could have braked even harder. The 0.88G wasn't even at impending lockup either... it was close, but not quite.

Back