brakes...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
ok.. i have to replace my brakes so i'm gonna change a few things.. so i have a few questions.. first off i'm gonna get brembo blanks from a website that i think it was Airjockie suggested to someone a while ago.. no which one do i get.. they have 3 blank ones, 2 bradi and a OE one.. but the bradi rotors have 2 different prices, why??.. *check link* http://www.importrp.com/search.php?mode=search ..
i was gonna go with the Hawk pads, but is there better caliper that i can use instead of the VX ones..

oe brembo blanks will work fine with your stock rotors, as that is what they were designed for.

E, did you ever hear of brembo rotors being made of a softer metal that stock honda rotors? Over in the the DA forums, some people were saying that, and as a result, that brembos are likely to warp more easily than the stockers? I only say this because it's seems that it is the case for my brembo blanks on my DA. I'm going to get them turned soon, and see if that maybe it is just the initial heating of the rotors, and maybe they will be fine after this. Discuss.

Quoted post[/post]]

E, did you ever hear of brembo rotors being made of a softer metal that stock honda rotors? Over in the the DA forums, some people were saying that, and as a result, that brembos are likely to warp more easily than the stockers? I only say this because it's seems that it is the case for my brembo blanks on my DA. I'm going to get them turned soon, and see if that maybe it is just the initial heating of the rotors, and maybe they will be fine after this. Discuss.

thanks for jacking my thread

ive got brembo blanks and hawk HP+ pads on my sol... ive done several track days and auto cross events as well as shit loads of very agressive street driving on them.... no warping at all

brakes hardly ever warp from use... hell thats what they are designed for

make sure that the area the rotor seats against is clean... make sure your wheels are properly torqued... that can sometimes cause or at least contribute to warping

one of the biggest reasons brakes warp is uneven cooling
people drive agressively and get the brakes stupidly hot... then they just stop... leaving the car to sit with hot ass brakes... the area of the rotor under the caliper does not cool anywhere near as fast as the area exposed to the air and the rotor warps
the easy way to combat this is to alow the brakes to cool to a safer temperature before stoping the car.... drive around for a few minutes without using the brakes if you end up needing to stop for a light or whatever brake lightly and stop well before you have to so that you can continue to roll forward slowly while you wait for the light to change... just keep the rotors turning through the caliper and everything will cool off pretty evenly... at least evenly enough to keep everything from warping

at my track days im slowing from 115-120 down to about 65-70 over and over and over for 30-45 minutes... my brakes get stupidly hot.... but at the end of the session you take your final cool down lap at about 50-55mph without using the brakes at all... then when i pull off the track back into the paddok i like to drive around for a few minutes, ill usually drive over to an empty area, or ill do a lap or two around the paddok... nothing crazy just a slow roll at about 5-10mph without touching the brakes just to give a little more time for the brakes to cool... then i go and park the car... i dont use the e-brake i just leave it in gear... this keeps the rear rotors from getting warped by having the pads pressed against them keeping all that heat in... sometimes if the brakes were REALLY hot ill go back to the car after a few minutes and push it forward or backward a few inches to get the hot part out from under the caliper

you dont have to do quite that much for street driving.... just drive for a minute or two without using the brakes and usually that will allow them to cool enough to not warp...

hell ive heated up the brakes on my insight to the point of about 90% fade and still didnt warp anything

always remember to run your car through a cool down cycle and everything will be fine :)

I just put brembo blanks w/ Hawk HPS pads on my CRX and I absolutely love them! Have fun!

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

thanks for jacking my thread
sorry, just promoting conversation that might be helpful to you in your selection of rotors... And earlier, I noticed a typo that was in reply to your question... brembo blanks will work fine with the stock calipers.

Back