1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand New Notebook Issue

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by totalburnout, Jan 25, 2007.

1. totalburnout

totalburnout Well-Known Member VIP

I had to reformat this thing twice already because it will get so choppy that I can't even play music on it, it will constantly freeze.

I did a system health scan from HP the other day and it told me my harddrive was bad. This computer is like brand new, I'm going to have to warranty and lemon law the shit.

My sister on the other hand get virtually the same computer a month after me, so it had the new design, and she has no problems with her computer like I have with mine hooking up to my linksys router - where it connects but has no net, it only works on the d link i have here at my school house, and she never had a problem with the computer booting up taking literally 10-15mins like mine did before the reformat, and no problems with the cursor skipping, music skipping, or the computer just being slow and making a lot of noise.

I got fucked.

The computer is brand new. I don't game on it, download an incredible amount of crap or do much more than surf literally a handful of websites, word process, and play music.

I have a gig of ram, and my hard drive has never had more than 35% of its capacity filled up even when I had 4000songs on this thing. Now I have only a handful of songs because I don't want to have to sit through reloading all the songs only to have the fucker crash again.

Two reloads of windows since the beginning of september. At first I thought it was Norton Antivirus causing a problem, because its been known to cause some system slowness but I'm running bare bones right now without a full version of Norton and basically everything deleted from my harddrive. I have 80% of my harddrive free.

Just ran a system scan.

"
    [​IMG] Critical issues

SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure. Your hard disk drive is detecting an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, backup contents and replace this hard disk."

2. totalburnout

Now I'm stuck with what to do.

I'm unhappy with this computer but I need it for work here at school. If they actually warranty the thing then I'll have to be without a computer, also I may have to foot the cost upfront and then fight to get my money back.

Not to mention, I don't have the desire to spend hours on tech support trying to get this shit figured out.

What would the members lounge do?

3. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

4. 801CRX

801CRX Got Rice?

Yeah ummmm hi dude(klyph) way to flame a senior member!

5. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

Make and Model of specified laptop please

6. totalburnout

HP

Pavillion dv8000
    AMD turion64 ~2.4ghz or so, I forget exact specs.
    Windows XP Media
    80gb harddrive
    1gb ram

7. totalburnout

You, sir, are correct. I've been here so long that there never used to be those subforums, so I never even visit them.

This isn't really a tech issue but rather its going to be a warranty claim issue.

I'm sure it will be moved if B or another mod would like to move it.

8. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

return it, and get an acer aspire 5672. never look back.

9. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

10. chestercheeto48

chestercheeto48 Senior Member VIP

I have the same model laptop and the only problem I have had is that the DvD burner went bad on it. HP's online support was fantastic and they replaced the part no problem. I was very impressed with their online chat support.

11. TurboMirage

x2. this guy is fucking smart.

12. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

just RMA the notebook. with hard drives, you can never be so sure. i just had a seagate shit on me. they usually pay for shipping to and from the first year, i mean even eMachine does.

13. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Most likely is a bad hard drive... My HP nx9600 has had a smart failure for like... 3-4 months now... but still boots fine and doesn't have any bad sectors or anything, so I just hit F1 to boot and keep going.

Contact HP. They are good with customer service.

14. TurboMirage

cant you turn off SMART support in BIOS?

15. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Yeah, but like... That would require me pressing f10 or something... And that would be too much work... :)

Not to mention this way nobody can boot my laptop... It sits there with a totally black screen and nothing happens... It is post POST, so you cant enter bios, f1 to continue is the only thing you can do. :D

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted