break in period for d16y5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

byebyebaby

Byaaah!
hey i was hoping to get some specs on the d16y5 such as cam gear timing, setting the timing belt. also my plan is to run this thing 10-15psi daily and 20-25 at the track, my setup is a bad ass head with the h-beam rods and vitara turbo pistons.but i need to get some ideas on the initial break in. im gonna let it idle through the 1/4 tank of gas thats been in there for awhile when we get it fired up then im gonna fill er up and go cruising. i was told to keep it below 4000 rpms and below 70mph. what do u think?

This is an excerpt from a article on importbuilders.com:

importbuilders.com said:
You might have heard of shops, that have charged about $16,000 for a fully built motor, and then they go out and drive the car around for 750 miles to break it in on a fully un-tuned motor. That is beyond stupid people. You see a shop doing that, you silently walk the other way, and don’t go back until they change their ways. You buy a brand new car and you drive it off the lot. That motor has about 5 miles on it or so. Most people get on it right away, such as me. Does that motor ever have any problems? Not that I have ever seen, or heard! You want to know why? Because its already fully tuned when you pick it up.

Lesson: Have it completely Dyno/Street tuned before it sees any RPM. Idling it LEAN for an hour will probably ruin the piston rings. If you must drive it to a Tuner, do so with a ECU Fuel map you know won't do any harm until above 3000 rpms.

Last edited:
well im gonna run it n/a for the first 500-1000 miles or so using the stock map then im gonna break out the wb and laptop and tune it.unless u know of a cheap dyno tuner in md i can go to to tune it for me

if cams aren't very aggressive and pistons haven't been changed, and injectors are 240cc. Then that should be ok. but really - there's no need to "break in" a block.

well yea lol. but just so im clear, there no break in period neccesary as long as its tuned?i mean im still gonna hold off on the boost for at leasst 500 miles

Awesome, totally awesome. Soon as I get a car and replace the engine I'm gonna come looking for this thread. lol
PistonPoweredByMototune.gif

Back