break in period

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

t3t4si

Hey I recently did some bottom in work on my b16, i re-ringed the factory pistons and honed in out a little to do trouble in the past. I was just wondering how long u guys would recomend as a break in period for the new rings . 200miles? 500miles? possibly 1000? please let me know thank you.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ^^^^^^

It may be hard to believe, but in order to set your new rings correctly you need to drive the car REALLY hard. I know you think I'm crazy, but this is how they break in race motors. This site explains it all. If you go easy on the motor, it'll form bad seals and start to leak oil prematurely!!!!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

race motors are broken in on the dyno. seriously.

bill beat the piss out of his from about an hour in on the first cruise out.... and what we through was a ring problem, was a bad pcv valve. so he rebuilt it with new rings, before we know that was the problem, and took it a little easier- but still beat the piss out of it :)

my motor will be broken in pretty hard as well.

the trick- is variance of rpms.
don't highway cruise to break it in.

bang side roads, and constalty shift 2,3,4 for just about every corner you can.
and watch out for kids :)

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Feb 11 2004, 08:01 PM
this is a widely debated topic.. but i'd say go easy on it for at least a full tank of gas... 300+ miles

I am inclined to agree with this. You can't compare a race motor break in to how you should break in your daily driver. Race motors are rebuilt every week. And my question is who is this guy that wrote that, and what are his credentials besides trying to get you to subscribe to their magazine?

that article is written by a well known guy. he's smart as shit. I've read a lot of his stuff before.

But beyond that, a lot of the top power cars on h-t have also broken it in either on the dyno or on beating it like it was 5k in :)

oh yea i forgot to mention this is on a turbo b16 does that really matter or will the rings set the same as na?

Icy winds, you are an idiot, and changing your name to Hondas founder, makes you even more so.

What are you talking about? I have this name on Honda-Tech, HondaForums, CybernationMotorSports, AcuraForums, hondashowoff +++. Listen man dont call me some other dude, I just found this Website today.

Originally posted by Soichiro-Honda@Feb 13 2004, 09:26 AM
What are you talking about? I have this name on Honda-Tech, HondaForums, CybernationMotorSports, AcuraForums, hondashowoff +++. Listen man dont call me some other dude, I just found this Website today.

That's why two weeks ago you IMed me with "FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING FAGGOT" were talking about us being mean to "your brother" Icy Winds, and now you're here saying you just found this site tonight. You're still a tard.

My brother is banned as from what he told me, and you need to chill out.
You can rant all you want. I'm not Jake - Icy I'm David - Soichiro.
You have this identity crisis by yourself, and Im not gonna continue arguing over stupid-ness. I came to this site it's ok not as informal, as Honda-Tech is.
He told me you ppl were asshole's seems like he was right.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Feb 11 2004, 04:42 PM
DO NOT LISTEN TO ^^^^^^

It may be hard to believe, but in order to set your new rings correctly you need to drive the car REALLY hard. I know you think I'm crazy, but this is how they break in race motors. This site explains it all. If you go easy on the motor, it'll form bad seals and start to leak oil prematurely!!!!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

well contrary to what you believe, i believe otherwise. thats why i said it was a widely debated topic.

:asshat:

well look at it this way. how does a person drive a new sports car on a test drive. And if they buy it how do you think that it is treated the first month they have it. They beat the shit out of it. My uncle bought a 2000 cobra R and drove the piss out of it for the first 25K mi in this time this is what he broke. 1 bellhousing. 2 clutch. 3 rearend was rebuit 4 times. broke a u joint twice. and last but not least a shift fork. he still has the car and he drives it much easier now that it isnt under waranty any more it now has about 130k on it and it runs like it did when he drove it off the lot. dosent burn oil or any thing. just look at wht all broke and this is one reason not to buy a rustang but the motor has held up well.

yeah theres a reason it broke, its called F O R D.

yea man im in college for Auto Tech. in NY and i asked my Professor about this way of breaking in a car. cuz i saw a artical on this type of breakin. and he said that is the way to do it. cuz u will rev it higher there for putting the ring grove in the cylinder wall higher in the cylinder. if you take it easy and only rev to like 3k or 4k then the ring grove is not up the wall as high as it shuld be, then when u do rev it later the rings will wear hard cuz they have to jump ova that grove. but if u beat it hard and keep the rpms high then the grove gets up there on the wall and the rings will never realy have to jump. but one of the worst things u can do to a new motor when u think ur breakin it in is rev it. like sit in netrual and rev it. that is SOO bad. its killin ur motor dont do it. hope this helped peace out guys.
Tyler

oh forgot to mention and no did either, use cheapo standard dinosaur oil, then after the breaking in, synthetic..

Originally posted by Soichiro-Honda@Feb 13 2004, 03:50 AM
My brother is banned as from what he told me, and you need to chill out.
You can rant all you want. I'm not Jake - Icy I'm David - Soichiro.
You have this identity crisis by yourself, and Im not gonna continue arguing over stupid-ness. I came to this site it's ok not as informal, as Honda-Tech is.
He told me you ppl were asshole's seems like he was right.

well i guess the gayness runs through the family

Thanks guys for all the help. I guess I'll give the hard break in a try and see what happens. The car is not back together yet though. It will be about 2 weeks before it moves again. But i will let you guys know how it went. The only thing that I am skeptical about is that they are factory honda rings on factory pr-3 pistons and it is on my daily driver. I dont have enough money to rebuild it again if something goes wrong with the break in process by running it hard.

Thanks

Back