Break-in period

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTEC_CBR

Ok, here's the deal, if all goes according to plan, I'll be buying an STi by summer. Now all manufacturers have their break in period saying to take it easy for the first thousand or couple thousand miles. Anyway, I think it was on honda-tech.com that someone had posted a link of some guy who had supposedly done this with like hundreds of motors, and that is he ran them hard for the first 20 miles so that the rings would seat nicely, and then the break-in period is over and you can drive how you like. So anyway, my dilemma is this, I want to know if that guy is just full of it or what. If anybody has read it or even has the link and can help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

this is very true
i read that guy site
he does a couple full bore red line runs etc etc and swears by it

i personally know diesel shops that do the same thing...
when they rebuild a motor and start it they run it at redline for 20 minutes...
they say that most employees or companies will not let it warm up before going right to work so they break it in like it will be used for the rest of its life...
that makes sense

but you will have a warranty
and new ecu's have data logging of sorts
so when the dealership hooks it up at 8K miles after you blew a rod they will know that you did not baby it for the first X miles...
i would highly advise that you follow the dealerships advise because it can and will affect your warranty...

if it were my car's motor that i rebuilt... i would take it easy for the first 500 to 1000, prob not going to redline for at least 2K miles... its a big investment to abuse right off the line...

Motoman is the guy who talks about break-in that way,Also Jeff @ ImportBuilders
Recommends the same way. so I Tried it and it works my motor runs flawless after 4K miles on it and no oil consumption problems!
Go to importbuilders.com he has a write up about it.

the hard break in works VERY well

there is a difference between beating on an engine and driving it hard

i read the article and he does not go past 50% throttle.........and he makes sure the a/f is right...i did not read that he runs red line for 20min....thats crazy

Originally posted by VTEC_CBR+Jan 31 2005, 06:26 PM-->
sleepercivic
@Jan 31 2005, 05:42 PM
search "motoman engine break-in secrets"

here ya go if u r lazy:  http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
[post=454013]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks bro, this is the one i read a while back, i couldn't remember the details, but here it is.
[post=454045]Quoted post[/post]​

no problem :thumbsup:

A lot of amnufactures break in the engines from the factory but its the rest of the car supposively that needs to be broken in.

i run the motor kinda like im but do it in steps. base line and tune for idle 20mins, 50 % throttle and tune it / set up and check all boost levels and fuel ect, then its 75% and check the motor/ boost levels and af ratio, then its balls to the wall, takes a good day to break in the motor but so far i have been blowing a motor up every 2 mnths instead of every 3 weeks

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jan 31 2005, 06:48 PM
i run the motor kinda like im but do it in steps. base line and tune for idle 20mins, 50 % throttle and tune it / set up and check all boost levels and fuel ect, then its 75% and check the motor/ boost levels and af ratio, then its balls to the wall, takes a good day to break in the motor but so far i have been blowing a motor up every 2 mnths instead of every 3 weeks
[post=454065]Quoted post[/post]​

the only thing with that is that i'll be buying a stock STi, so it's not like i'm buying a rebuilt motor, it should already be tuned and ready no?

just buy one off lease or a year old, let some one else break it in for you
and get the extended warranty
lol

takes a good day to break in the motor but so far i have been blowing a motor up every 2 mnths instead of every 3 weeks

uhm... hmmmm...

i just read it and it talks about motorcycle motors....would it be the same for our engines?.....might seem like a stupid Q but i have to ask...

Originally posted by formby@Feb 3 2005, 08:25 PM
i just read it and it talks about motorcycle motors....would it be the same for our engines?.....might seem like a stupid Q but i have to ask...
[post=456095]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, he used motorcycle engines but says that it applies to ALL 4 stroke engines.

a (4 stroke)motorcycle engine is just like a car engine
they both have pistons
they both have piston rings
they both need their piston rings to fully "bed in" and seal well for optimum life span and performance

hard break in = :thumbsup:

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jan 31 2005, 04:54 PM
just buy one off lease or a year old, let some one else break it in for you
and get the extended warranty
lol

takes a good day to break in the motor but so far i have been blowing a motor up every 2 mnths instead of every 3 weeks

uhm... hmmmm...
[post=454072]Quoted post[/post]​

in a wheeling truck thats damn good think mud and full thottle pined 8 hrs a ady and nevr gentle on and off and over heating issues, mudd in the pan, water issues. When i rebuild these motors usually i only go rings and bearings.

Back