break in without turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Delsol94

i just got vitara pistons and eagle h beams for my d16 and i was reading that u are supposed to put 1000 miles on the pistons and rods before u go hard on them, i dnt have all of my turbo parts and was wondering if its advised i put my internals in and break them in so when i get all of my parts i can just bolt them on and get a tune and the engine will be broke in, and i understand that my compression will be super low so my car will be way down on power.

It doesn't really matter. The correct tune is the most important thing on any build. I'm a fan of beating the hell out of it from day 1. You can go all motor if you want first, but again, make sure it has a proper tune on it. A stock map may flood out on the low compression, and washout would ruin it.

i have had two built motors before, both of them were on boost and put immediately on the dyno for initial startup and tuning. driving around on a crappy tune is far worse than going wide open on boost with a good tune.

so i dnt have to break in new parts before dyno? it says put 1000 miles on the pistons and dnt rev past 3k on the box? just dnt wanna break new parts thanks

everyone has their own opinion on breakin periods. the tuner that works on my car has tuned many fresh builds on the dyno right away. with the last build on my car we idled it for an hour, drove it around on a basemap for about 20 miles, changed the oil, and then slapped it on the dyno and did wot pulls to tune it in. then changed the oil again.

the last built b series i had before this one, it went straight from idle to dyno pulls, and it lasted for years, including some track use.

if you do some research about breaking in motors, you will see that their are a lot of opinions, but i feel like you want to break it in fast. it has worked for me.

ok thanks alot for the info ill talk to my tuner

Just buy the cheapest oil and filters you can get. You will need 3 oil changes.

On the first start make sure you have the oil pump primed, then start and sort out the bugs untill it idles correctly. Once it dose then your ready to let it come up to operating temp to make sure your not over heating and that the fan kicks on.

Now drain your oil

Tow to your tuner and tune. Once your all tuned, drain oil again and run engine for 1k miles and drain again and then you can have your oil changes at normal times

Back