breathers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

streetracinghn

what does a breather do. purpose. where do they go on a 91 accord lx ne help would be gratful :worthy:

i think your talking about a bypass valve that goes on the intake , if you get water in your airfilter it pulls air from the bypass valve

hes talking about this little air filter that goes on the pcv thing, which is illegal. i think this is stupid and only for stupid looks. At low rpm it sucks a little but when you driving high rpm it actually blows oil out which is why that hose is connected to the intake so it is a closed system and your not spitting oil all over the ground. Dont get it, if you really think it matters just discconect the pcv line and just let it dangle and plug up the intake hole.

yeah i see Fucktards putting those on the imports now, and i still don't understand why? just about any V8 has them on there, along with the PCV on the newer ones

Originally posted by highperboi@Nov 20 2003, 10:47 PM
hes talking about this little air filter that goes on the pcv thing, which is illegal. i think this is stupid and only for stupid looks. At low rpm it sucks a little but when you driving high rpm it actually blows oil out which is why that hose is connected to the intake so it is a closed system and your not spitting oil all over the ground. Dont get it, if you really think it matters just discconect the pcv line and just let it dangle and plug up the intake hole.

i have one on my car and i have never had oil come out.

yeah i have mine disconnected and i dont see oil coming out but my friend has the filter thing on it and oil doesnt come out but it gets really dirt.

if its dirty then something is coming out.

they are used on race engines that dont need emissions shit like the pcv valve but they normally have a catch can as not to let oil get on the track. and oil shouldnt shoot out of the filter its just to vent gas build up so only minimal oil should escape.

Originally posted by highperboi@Nov 21 2003, 12:06 AM
yeah i have mine disconnected and i dont see oil coming out but my friend has the filter thing on it and oil doesnt come out but it gets really dirt.

if its dirty then something is coming out.

[sarcasm]well now this is just a guess, but could that dirt POSSIBLY just be dirt that is in the air while its sucking in the air?[/sarcasm] Filters are supposed to filter out dirt, hence the name. So of course they're gonna get dirty cause they're keeping the dirt from getting into your motor. And if it was connected to your intake and oil was comming out, you'd be getting a lot of oil in your intake pipe, throtle body, intake manifold, and so on. Its connected onto your intake so it can get air.

well it wasnt dirt from air cuz it wasnt sucking its blowing and it was more dirty then the air filter was and it wasnt really dirt it was more oil grease

oh and yes it is getting oil in your t/b and i/m thats why when you take it off you see lots of grim building up on the runners....

get an oil catch can if you really want to... unless you're running FI or you're making a lot of power, it's not worth it...

Originally posted by highperboi@Nov 20 2003, 10:47 PM
Dont get it, if you really think it matters just discconect the pcv line and just let it dangle and plug up the intake hole.

Just to clarify here, since you don't know what the PCV system does. Don't ever block off your PCV system in any way (I know what was being said, just making sure everyone does), you will start blowing out seals- frequently your distributor base seal first, which will eventually get expensive since you cannot replace them. That little breather- true, better placed on V8's, are to let the air being equalized in the block move in and out with less restiction. This is a smaller version of why NASCAR guys run vacuum in the block for another 10 or 11 HP. The less trouble the pistons have moving the air benath them out of the way as they head for BDC, the better. On an import, it is really your choice to use one or not, but you won't gain anything but looks from it.

catchcan... great on FI cars since there is a lot of pressure that builds up in the under belly of the motor.

i had one on the accord, and it wasn't attached to the pcv valve in anyway.i'll bust out the pics if you really want me to.

hiperboi needs to stop posting bs.

if its not on the pcv valve where did you put it? please pictures.

and i didnt mean to say block it off i said block of the hole on the intake so it doesnt suck up any dust and have the hose on the pcv valve dangle down.

an oil catch can is placed in line of the breather tube to catch the oil suspended within the air befor allowing it to pass to the intake track

Basically, this is a worthless mod that does as much for performance as tinting your windows - dont get it, besides, the more open air filters you have in there the more chance you have of messing something up if it gets wet.

How you guys are dumb(some of you) it has the tube from the intake to the pcv cause it uses the intake filter to filter out shit buy when you have an intake with no tuplace for the pcv to connect you need the breather to filter out the shit in the air. :D

really im not too sure what im talking about, but i seen one in the store for like $5 so i bought it why not?, cant hurt. but i was under the impression that it was supposed to keep the hot air from being recirculated through the system. it seems kind of dumb but for $5 i fugured why not.

Back