Brilliant new political strategy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Unions are one of the only major sources of funding for the Democratic party. If Republicans can weaken that, they can strengthen their own party tremendously. No money = no campaigning = no democrats in office.

Politicians don't care one bit about people, they care about their power. This is simply a stab at the jugular of the Wisconsin Democratic party; an attack on the 'enemies' primary money source. Hence the huge counter-reaction of walking out to prevent it. It's an internal power struggle... neither side cares about how it affects the people.

The exact same thing can be said about unions themselves. One of the big union bosses is out on the stump already. Union leadership couldn't care any less about the people.

I havent read into it too much, but they are trying to pass a similar law here in Ohio to rid the state of collective bargaining. I see people posting up links for petitioning it all day on Facebook.

Unions are one of the only major sources of funding for the Democratic party. If Republicans can weaken that, they can strengthen their own party tremendously. No money = no campaigning = no democrats in office.

Politicians don't care one bit about people, they care about their power. This is simply a stab at the jugular of the Wisconsin Democratic party; an attack on the 'enemies' primary money source. Hence the huge counter-reaction of walking out to prevent it. It's an internal power struggle... neither side cares about how it affects the people.

Who needs money when you have favorable media coverage?

I can't see to find the exact section of NLRA that states basically public employees rights are limited. The state is within it's right to change agreements between it and state employees. I work at a federal installation, and the unions powers are severely limited, and strikes are not allowed. The problem here is deficit spending. We as a nation have been practing it since FDR (Federal Deficit Roosevelt), and it is unsustainable. Now it's time to pay the piper, and no one wants to. All the kicking and screaming will not change that fact. I'm no expert, and to claim to know the details on how to fix it. The only thing I know is that revenue must be greater then expenses, or what ever it is will fail.

I can't see to find the exact section of NLRA that states basically public employees rights are limited. The state is within it's right to change agreements between it and state employees. I work at a federal installation, and the unions powers are severely limited, and strikes are not allowed. The problem here is deficit spending. We as a nation have been practing it since FDR (Federal Deficit Roosevelt), and it is unsustainable. Now it's time to pay the piper, and no one wants to. All the kicking and screaming will not change that fact. I'm no expert, and to claim to know the details on how to fix it. The only thing I know is that revenue must be greater then expenses, or what ever it is will fail.

All of the major unions have agreed to kick in the purposed percent of both Health and pension contributions. For years we have negotiated in good faith for lower wages in return for better benifits and still we recognize we have to give up some ground on this. CBA should be taken off the table as it goes way beyond a fiscal arguement. I have yet to see what keeping CBA will cost in terms of the budget. The talking points that Walker is spewing are starting to get stale because they did not change when we agreed to the cuts. He is still trying to make this about money when the arguement has clearly changed focus. Hey Koch brothers when are you going to train your monkey with a new comeback line?

I disagree vehemently Darkhand. Have you ever met a district senator/representative?

This is STATE govnt. Not federal.

Maybe I'm biased from dealing with Chicago politics for so long. :) I'll admit state government is FAR better than federal, but at least from what I've seen personally, it's still more about power than people (of course there are exceptions).

The exact same thing can be said about unions themselves. One of the big union bosses is out on the stump already. Union leadership couldn't care any less about the people.

I agree here too. When they came to power, unions were (and still are) a useful check against unfair labor practices, but the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Now Indiana:

Indiana Democrats trigger Statehouse showdown over anti-union legislation | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

bilde

This isn't new, it's a strategy that has been used for centuries, it's called

monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-02-800-75.jpg

RUN AWAY!!!

In all seriousness this is absolutely spineless. It was just a year ago that Dem's all across the country were arguing that Republican's shouldn't be holding up health-care reform through filibusters because they were given a mandate through elections. This goes much further, the entire legislative process is being held up by these cowards.

Solution: Amend the state constitution with them gone. If they want to challenge it in court they will have to return to the state...

you cant forget that they only make $45 an hour so they can pay the union their half.
what other reason is there for a union to be fighting this? its because they dont want to lose the money. they could give a shit less about the people, they only want their dues.

I don't know if it's different up north but my dues were only $10 a month.

I haven't listened to the tape yet but using these bullet points

• That statehouse GOPers were plotting to hold Democratic senators' pay until they returned to vote on the controversial union-busting bill.

• That Walker was looking to nail Dems on ethics violations if they took meals or lodging from union supporters.

• That he'd take "Koch" up on this offer: "[O]nce you crush these bastards I'll fly you out to Cali and really show you a good time."
What is so interesting about the call? Point number one is well within bounds of the game they are playing. Point two is pretty obvious. Break the rules you get hammed Republican or Democrat. And point three could go one of two ways. The Governor loves him some coke and whores or he said alright because he didn't want to be rude to a supporter. I mean if this is world ending proof of how corrupt Walker is then thats a pretty weak case.

I just thought his staff would be better able to insulate him from things like this it will be a matter of time before he slips up on a grander scale. Granted there isn't a lot/any really incriminating but there are some suspect topics brought up specifically the fact that he even entertained the idea of bussing in people to cause a ruccus. Thank God he realized that was a bad idea.

Back