Bringing a del sol back to life

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thelostnet

Hi!

I picked up a 96 del sol shell and am bringing it back to life. Needs some front-end repair (nearly done), engine, tranny and axles.

Unfortunately, i'm on a budget so a b-series isn't an option. The car had a b-series dohc with vtec (b16 most likely). I already had a D16 with vtec before I got the del sol and I want to swap it in. The only problem so far is wiring...

The engine harness seems to clip right in no problem, though some things (like battery connections) are in the wrong place. I can deal with that. But, i'm a little unsure of what ecu to get. Do I need to run new wires through the firewall? The D16 is obd1, but the car came with obd2?

Any other words of wisdom?

I already know i'm gonna get flamed for dropping a D-series into this car. So, i've got my flame suit on.

regards,

thelostnet

Ok, but the car harness is obd2 and the engine / ecu is obd1. I don't actually have the ecu for this engine either so I have to find one.

I suspect i'll need some kind of adapter as well.

ok to go over this - get the y8 ecu or a p28 and obd1 - obd2 adapter - can get em all over the place - obd1-obd2 is pretty easy back and forth injectors are slightly different clip and distributors are swappable. I would personally convert the car to obd1 if you can though

Back