bringing the CRX back to the track build/thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

give me $3k and ill do it :)

i failed emissions testing today :lol: passed the sniffer and failed the gas cap. HC ppm was 150/200. good thing i put the cat on there lol. also as a note, MD changed their testing procedure. dyno runs no longer needed :) i just pulled up, they tested the gas cap, did a visual check for a cat converter, and stuck the sniffer on the tail pipe. let it idle for a minute, then hold revs at 2k for a few mins. the whole process is much faster, which is probably why MD changed it. newer cars just get the ECU check from what i saw

Wish CA would do it that way. NV just hooks new cars up to the OBD2 scanner. With the Evo you can flash the ecu to give out any result you want.. lol

I've been considering looking into an old GSR swap. I'm not too sure what to do with my rex, but I definitely like this one.

Even when my gsr was stock it was pretty quick. It's a nice swap. You have like no hood clearance though. I had to trim out sone if the support webbing to close the hood

Looks awesome. I want to build a dedicated track/autocross crx similar to yours when I have money for it.

Update 7/03/10:

i finally had some time to work on this. i moved into a new place and have to move everything. but the new place has a garage so now i can leave the CRX in pieces if i want lol. but the thing that sucks is that having my tools at my parents house, and brothers who like to borrow shit and not put it back has left my tools a mess. im missing a ton of stuff, random sockets and some specialty stuff. but now no one touches my shit lol. i also have a press, but no proper supports of substantial size (using bricks is my temp ghetto solution). after much fuss i got the hub and old studs pressed out. but half of the bearing race is stuck to the hub. ill have to take it to a machine shop to get it off as i dont have a bearing/gear puller. only the passenger side has been worked on so far. i spent so much time getting the knuckle mounted up to the press. what a PITA since the knuckle is such an odd shape.

and i ran into a little snag with the lower ball joints. i got them pressed out and when i looked at them next to the replacements, they dont look the same. i mean, physically they are the same dimensions, but the new one doesnt have a groove for the snap ring. did honda change this part to no longer use a snap ring? is this the right part number? i ordered these from Majestic a few months ago.

pics:
DSC02425.JPG

DSC02424.JPG

Last edited:
well apparently they changed it to no longer need a snap ring. doesnt bother me, i damaged/destroyed the old snap ring in removal lol.

i also broke down and bought a gear puller to take care of the inner race of the old bearing left on the hub. i didnt want to to deal with taking it to a shop and i figured its a good tool to have around. using the old axle nut was perfect to press the hub through the race, big enough to press on the hub, and small enough to not get stuck in the race in the process . best thing i had at the time lol.

DSC02430.JPG

as you can see i also got the ARP extended studs pressed into the hub. and not pictured, i got the new hub assembly and new bearing pressed into the knuckle. just need to press the lower ball joint in and reinstall the whole thing. then repeat on the drivers side lol. hopefully that side goes faster with the learning being done this time around.

then work on getting the new studs pressed into the rear hub.

well i got the passenger side stuff pretty much done. i pressed in the pall joint using a C-clamp, which was a huge PITA but i got it done and thats all i care about. finished product:

DSC02435.JPG

DSC02436.JPG

i have to get some cotter pins for the lower ball joint and tire rod. i was going to replace the tie rods but they are in good condition. the ball joint is nice and tight and the boot is still in tact.
i didnt order the wheels yet, but i test fitted the GSR fat fives i have and it mounts up fine.

i did run into a little problem (which i kind of expected).

DSC02437.JPG

the pads have like a 0.5mm or less clearance on the rotor hat. i had this same issue on the setup before and it caused rubbing and grinding. i took a dremel to the pads before to give me some more clearance. i want a little better clearance and a more pro job so ill take the pads to a machine shop to be ground down (not into the pad material obviously) just enough to give me like 2-3mm clearance on the hat for heat expansion.

now to tackle the drivers side :lol: :
DSC02438.JPG

then the rears, but those should be easy as all im really doing now is installing the studs. i might replace some shit back there too though. ive also decided to replace the arms and associated mounting hardware for the full-race traction bar. i have the old design and my heim joints are beginning to wear out anyway. the new design is stronger and simpler.

yea thats essentially what i did before. but it took forever and i just dont want to deal with it.

Good to see you back at it! Your build inspired my latest build about a year ago.

I have started getting really into HPDE's and I'm having such a blast. Just did Sebring about a month ago and had a blast with Chin Motorsports....along ways for you guys but let me know if you guys can get down for a Roebling or Sebring event. Darkside de in Nov. at Roebling and Oct, Dec at Sebring for Chin, I should be at all of them. Good luck!

sounds like fun, but i doubt i could make it down for a LONG time lol. just too busy at the moment. so busy that i havent even had time to start on the drivers side or rears lol. hopefully next week or something.

I want to paint the wheels another color since they will be track wheels (the ones in the first post). Yea black and silver will look good with red. But I wanna go with something a little more unconventional. I'm thinking gold or bronze. Thoughts?

Been working too much. Haven't had any time to do anything. Hopefully I can get something done tomorrow.

this color for the main body of the rim
vests-1b.jpg

with a thin (1/4 inch or so) ring of this color on the flat area just inside of the lip all the way around the rim
vests-1a-red.jpg

yes im serious

heres the basic look im thinking of :) :thumbsup:

13799d1279273807-vest.jpg

Attachments

• vest.JPG
    vest.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:
Back