bringing the CRX back to the track build/thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

They are TR Motorsprt C1's. 12.8 lbs. $89/each. That is the factory paint. I'm going to paint them gold.

i realize its factory paint.. i was wondering if you're rattle canning or powder coating

brakes are lookin hot!

Last edited:
I have been following some of your stuff on honda-tech too...my name is known on there.

Im glad youre getting it all together! I blew the motor at Sebring a week ago but you gotta come down sometime and run that track and Roebling RD as well.

Last edited:
Sebring, fl where they run the 12 hrs of Sebring 3.7 mile circuit. Roebling road is in savanah, ga but I know you are pretty far away from both.

I want to hit VIR which is closer for you.

yea ive only been to Summit Point. pretty fun little track. VIR is closer, but i need to get this car straightened out first lol.

I just skimmed over your build and I have a couple of O L D civic 1200 racks that are 3:1 I believe..
I see that it was a pain to swap, but pm me for pics and I'll try and measure some up today.

Great build so far.

E

small update.

thanks to a kind fellow on h-t, i was able to get the front shock/spring assembly put together. he shipped me the ES poly bushings for the top hats. i had purchased them from another vendor online, but they sent me the wrong parts and refused to cross ship in the interest of time.

here they are completed

IMG_0305.JPG

they were a PITA to get put together. mainly because the 500lb springs had to be compressed to get the top hats on. and this is with stock top hats. imagine how bad it would be with extended hats! the springs had to be compressed about 3/4" (375lbs) to get the hats on properly. i went to advance auto to borrow a spring compressor but it was a POS and too big for the small tight coils. if i was doing this on a strut car with huge springs i would have been fine. it rubbed on the shock body and wouldnt compress straight. so i had to improvise :)

i do have a press luckily, but nothing to compress the combo and still give me access to the top nut (using a socket on the top covered the top nut). soo i just used a 36mm socket on the top of the top hat to compress the the spring on the entire assembly. i then took steel wire and wrapped it around the coils around the whole spring. this kept the spring compressed when i let the weight off from the press. its ghetto as hell, and borderline dangerous, but it was the best thing i had at the time. i wouldnt recommend anyone doing this, it was a PITA to do lol.

total compression "unsprung" is about 1/2" so about 200-250lbs of preload on the springs. not too bad.

some of my spherical parts have shipped. PCI offset RTA bushings, front LCA bushings, and rear toe arms. so once all those arrive, i can get the front all finished up finally, as well as do a big part of the rears. then once the rear LCAs and rear camber arms (sphericals) show up i can throw those on and finish up the rear.

Last edited:
haha.. why didnt you turn the coilover adjustment down lower so the spring would drop an inch and then just bolt the top hat on???.. lol

i see at least 2" of space to drop the coil..

Then my ride height would be DUMPED. And it would be a pain to readjust once the springs are on since they are so stiff. And I would lose that bump travel.

I got my PCI trailing arm bushings today, as well as the hardrace toe adjusters, and front LCA bushings. I'll get some pics up in a bit.

i'm sure it'd be easier than trying to use those craptastic spring compressors from autozone.. i've had my way with them a few times.. lol

trust me, it was easier to do it this way. i could have mounted them up to the car and compress the spring that way, BUT im not ready to mount up the fronts yet. im still waiting on those pesky brake line adapters (which are on their way). if i need to adjust the ride height, thats what i plan on doing. just put a jack on the LCA to get the nut off, lower to release the load, then adjust height, back up to tighten nut, voila!

pics of the new bearings. god these things are so expensive. should be worth it though. and i like the dust boots on the LCA bushings, too bad the toe adjusters (and likely camber adjusters) arent like that. still waiting on alloy rear LCAs (with sphericals) and rear camber kit with sphericals.

DSC02631.JPG

hopefully i can find some time to get these installed tomorrow.

mike, stop whining and get to work!

i had to stay up late last night so i got to work. took both front LCAs off and removed the ES bushings. i sized up the new bushings and they arent even close to fitting :( the larger one is too small by like 4-5mm and the smaller one is a few mm small. gonna have to figure that out.

and i got the PCI bering installed on the drivers RTA, went in pretty easy. still need to do the other side too though. and surprise surprise, the toe adjusters are fucked. ill probably have to cut them out. one setback after another lol.

The joys of building a race car lol. It looks like you got some very nice pieces for the suspension setup!

Have you decided on settings for camber and toe up front? I assume you will be getting corner balanced once it is all installed?

Great build so far!

yea the suspension should be sweet, camer ill probably roll like -3*f/-1.5*r and adjust from there.

i probably wont get corner balance RIGHT away, but who knows. maybe.

tomorrow its time to cut the rear toe links out. they are a rear SOB right now, all seized up.

Personally on my 95 hatch I run 2.90 up frt and 1.9 in the rear. 1/16th of an inch toe out up front.

I run 500f/800r rates on my progress setup with a 19 frt bar and 23 rear.
I don't like how the car feels with no frt sway bar personally but you will have to experiment to see what you like.

I would recommend corner balancing once you get the ride height set, it makes a huge difference.

Good luck with your suspension issues, northern weather is such a pain it seems....atleast it's not 100 degrees half the year so you can actually get some work done.

Last edited:
Back