bringing the CRX back to the track build/thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

so ive been slacking, but i got some stuff done today and yesterday.

i installed the PCI bearings a few days ago, pics:

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

yesterday i put together some new endlinks. i bought all the parts from mcmaster and ebay. i wanted something strong, low maintenance and would last. the old links were corroded to all hell. so i found some rubber boots for rod ends made by seals-it. i used boots that were 1 size too small bacause, the ones that fit the 3/8" rod ends were too loose. the small ones were a royal PITA to install but they fit good.

comparison with/without boots:
IMG_0309.JPG

finished links, anti-seized up, lock nut in place, and spacers installed:
IMG_0316.JPG

i liked the boots so much that i went and bought boots for everything i could. the full race links, the toe links, camber links, everything that had a spherical rod end. the front LCA bushings will come with boots when i get the right ones. but im not sure how the rear LCAs will be. i just want to protect everything from dust, dirt, water, rust, etc. the boots are a tad expensive (like $20-25 for a 6 pack depending on size) but worth it IMO

comparison of the full-race arms with/without boots:
IMG_0314.JPG

and a shot of the hardrace toe links with boots installed:
IMG_0323.JPG

and i had to cut the old toe links out like i previously mentioned. fucking pain. i started cutting, then the nut popped loose, so i had to cut to body open behind the drivers seat and put the nut back in place. it was easier than i thought.

action shot:
DSC02648.JPG

result:
IMG_03211.JPG

and thats just the drivers side so far. im PRAYING the pass side link just comes loose without issue. we'll see.

after seeing all this, im putting anti-seize on EVERYTHING. i dont want to deal with this crap again.

I had a dream last night that I removed the other toe link without issue. So I went and tried. Thankfully, my dream was right. No cutting for the passenger side thank god.

the boots MAKE SENSE. do they charge extra for them?

still keeping this in my mind! Nice job man!

You are actually on the "why I should go B-series" side. :)

keep up the good work and hope to see this thing back in action.

the boots MAKE SENSE. do they charge extra for them?
they cost extra in that no one offers them with the joints. i bought them from ebay.

they are made by Seals-It. if you search ebay for "heim joint boots" or "rod end boot" you'll find them. Seals-It is a vendor there under the name seals-itstore. they are also based out of Ellington, CT it seems, so pickup might be a good option for you NE guys (if they allow it).

they have like 5 different sizes which should fit nearly any size rod end (rod ends are measured by the shank diameter). its going to be interesting to see if i can fit the boot over the body connection on the rear camber link, since it has that huge bar though it. these things are a pain to install as it is lol.

Last edited:
well, the last of my spherical parts are FINALLY on their way. and in anticipation of finally getting the car back on its wheels. i figured id get to painting the wheels :)

like i said before, i wanted to do gold, and i found the perfect color. i wanted BBS gold (used on subaru STI rims) its a nice light, clean looking gold color. the color is virtually unavailable though, not even from BBS. but a company, Grimmspeed (big in the suby crowd) sells a paint that is a near perfect match. very good quality and durable. the paint is acrylic enamel.

link for anyone interested: GrimmSpeed

i used 2 cans for all 4 wheels, and didnt really do it in coats. i just kept lightly coating them until the cans were empty. i was very careful to not let it build up and run, and constantly kept shaking the cans and spraying from different angles to get complete and even paint coverage. i couldnt be happier with the result from a rattle can job. i did absolutely zero prep (started sanding one wheel, but deemed it unnecessary). the result looks near professional IMO.

im posting 2 pics because this color is pretty difficult to capture with a regular camera. one with a flash, and one with no flash and high ISO. actual color is a bit between the two shots, but closer to the color of the no flash pic. but the flash pic shows color depth and clarity better.

DSC02662.JPG

DSC02664.JPG

i like it. too bad my car isnt black :ph34r: maybe one day.

oh and i also figured it would be nice to race in shoes other than my skate shoes i usually wear. and i had a 40% off coupon for Puma, so i got some Replicat III's. Speed Cats were not available in my size :(. not bad for 50 bucks.
pisa2

Last edited:
so....

ive been expecting the rest of my spherical parts all week, they were shipped fedex, but i didnt get anything :(. i requested a tracking number from the seller, and he emailed me back saying that he had gotten a call from some guy saying he received my package. apparently there was a type in my street address (missing a digit of the street number) and it got delivered to this guy. the seller gave me his contact info as he wasnt able to get in touch with him

so i called him up and left a message. shortly after, he called me back, i got his address, and headed over there. luckily he wasnt too far away, probably about 30min drive. i thanked him profusely for his honestly and let him know that he saved me from a lot of hassle. it would have royally sucked if this stuff went return to sender all the way back to cali and then shipped right back to me. not sure why fedex delivered it to this guy though when the only error was the street number. my zip code was still right (and not correct for where they delivered it) but i also dont know if fedex keeps track of who lives at what address or if they just go by the number. luckily for me, it was a fairly easy solution to just go get it.

so here it is in all its glory:

DSC02667.JPG

hardrace alloy rear LCAs with spherical
hardrace rear camber adjuster with spherical
hardrace front LCA spherical bushings

im really glad to see that everything has boots already to protect the bearing. just means i wont need to use the boots i have for the camber kit. only sphericals that wont have a boot is the front LCA. and while id like to have something, for both protection and completeness, i can live with it lol.

first thing i did was try to install the front LCA bushings. he sent me a front kit for EG which he said should work. the shock fork bushing i was able to get pressed it. it was really tight, but it went in and the motion is still good on the bearing. so i went to do the other one, where it mounts to the subframe, and its too big :( i measured the bushing to be about 37.5mm and the hole on my LCA is about 32mm (needing a bushing about 32.5mm from press fit). i let the seller know, and he is going to get in touch with hardrace and try to source me the right bushing. apparently hardrace doesnt exactly make an EF bushing kit and he'll just have to find one thats the right size.

i should be mad about these delays, but i understand stuff happens. and while id like to be done all this by now (i am just waiting for parts), im also not in a huge rush. this guy has a lot on his plate as it is since he's in the process of moving his entire shop/business from one building to another. im sure the last thing he needs is an angry customer breathing down his neck. any problem ive just politely let him know about, and he does his best to get it taken care of. he means well, and thats ok with me.

oh and i also got my tires mounted to the freshly painted rims :) took em over to pep boys since they have a nice mounting machine that wont scratch up the wheels. i didnt have them balance them though so i could be in and out. i have access to a balancing machine in the shop at work, and its pretty nice and easy to use. its a roadforce, and free for me :)

at least i can get the rears finished up tonight. ill get the tires balanced next week at work. then hopefully get the front finished up with the new bushings. which reminds me, i still need to get some 5mm spacers for the front wheels to clear the brakes.

then bleed the brakes. and get an allignment/corner balance.

then its to the shop to get the body work cleaned up (rust)

then to MAACO for a paintjob lol. then put all the trim back on.

its coming along

Got the passenger rear completely put together. Feels good :) pics tomorrow. I'll probably finish up the drivers rear too.

some pics from today. got the wilwood kit installed along with the new brake lines.

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

you can see the koni/gc assembly on the floor there. just waiting for the poly inserts for the top hats then i can put it together and install it.

also waiting on:
spherical parts
hub rings for the rotors

and i still need to find some stock CRX front shocks that i can rape for the brake line bracket.

i was talking to a friend of mine, and now im toying with the idea of getting rid of the stock seats and belts, picking up a roll bar like autopower or something. and getting a harness and some race seats. not sure if im gonna do it right now, but i REALLY want to get rid of the door belts. so we'll see.

You actually don't really need the brake line brackets. you can just install the forks without that bracket

i know. i just prefer to have them. i obtained a set though.

got the rears done 100%. it sure is colorful lol.

DSC02685.JPG

DSC02684.JPG

DSC02686.JPG

DSC02687.JPG

DSC02691.JPG

DSC02693.JPG

DSC02694.JPG

DSC02695.JPG

JdM 4ngl3s!
DSC02696.JPG

Back