Bristol Autox

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if people could moderate themselves, a moderator wouldn't be needed at all.

thread stays open.

welp, clayton was pretty darned close.

I just spoke with Erik from DG and silkroad has released a rough draft of their service buelletin.

Yes, because of this situation, they are releasing a technical service bulletin.

Do you naysayers still think they are unsafe?

:lol:

[attachmentid=15]

For those of you without word:

SilkRoad coilover systems, produced by Section Japan, utilize a spherical bearing in the upper strut mount which is produced with an overlay casting process. This process includes a ceramic/stainless steel insert which has a semi-spherical close-tolerance outer surface and lubrication ribs throughout the outer surface. The ceramic/stainless steel insert is threaded completely through, and, as tightened, slides down into the spherical bearing contained in the upper strut mount.

Despite appearing to only be tightened with a small percentage of threads relative to the overall height of the “nut”, in actuality, the nut is a machined surface of the entire component only present to enable a wrench, or other tool, to be used for assembly/disassembly. In other words, the surface allows for attaching/detaching of the strut cartridge to/from the upper strut mount and is not a separate component (it is not a nut). The small area below the hexagonal machined surface serves as a spacer between the hexagonal machined surface and the spherical bearing, to prevent binding/contact between the hexagonal surfaces and the bearing or the bearing race in the case of extreme angular rotation of the central axis, as would be the case during steering of the vehicle combined changes in the length of the coilover assembly as it travels throughout its range of motion.

In addition, the bearing race contains a felt wiper. The design of the bearing/insert combination causes the spherical bearing to rotate along with the strut cartridge, which provides for lower overall friction than other configurations. This axial rotation, combined with the angular rotation of the axis and the felt wiper, causes the bearing to be cleaned as the suspension travels throughout its range of motion, helping to prolong the life of the spherical bearing and the carrier.

[attachmentid=16]

I was a little off...but not by much....since I haven't had a chanse to dissect the acual strut...but this also saved me a lot of time, and B some gas money ;)

I honstly thing the ball should be pressed onto the nut peice.....it would funtion about 20% better...but it is still a lot better of a design than the normal ruber bushings and nut on a washer design. This set-up allows for aesy swing on the steering arms....and helps the strut live longer, without wearing the same area on the main seals in the strut. Less wear=longer life of the seals.

If the fail you again, BAN THEM! :p

Nah, just playing. That should be plenty of proof.

it might not be a bad idea to ask them to include a cutaway picture similar to claytons (albeit, slightly more professional :D ) Having that makes it easier to understand whats going on...

-Chris

This just arrived in my in-basket:

Chip,

Got your forwarded messages. The text appears to be a translation of Japanese by a Japanese. Just has that feel to it that I've seen before. The drawing describes the assembly to my satisfaction as to safety aspects and you can tell the boys that we can pass that through tech next time they come.

Thanks for working with them to get this resolved.

Paul

He also sent this after he received silk-road's text and photos:

The photos were good too. Provides a full description. Good job.

too bad its late.. lol
no biggie-i had to help my dad today anyway. and byt the time the next one is in town, i will most likely not own the car anymore :ph34r:

Back