broke a head bolt... can't get it out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jisakson

I broke a head bolt on my del sol replacing a head gasket. I tried to drill it out and use an easy out to get it out, however I can't seem to get the bolt to turn, I think I drilled the hole too far over to the side. I then drilled it deeper, thinking it was the middle and I dont have an easy out long enough. I can't get ahold of it, im very furious.. running out of idea's.

SOMEONE SAVE MY BLOCK!

It broke off below the surface of the block. Now that I have drilled into it, the easy out sits just about flush with the surface of the block. I can't get ahold of the easy out with a vice grips or anything like that. Before I re-drilled the hole for the easy out, the bolt wasn't turning at all, which could have been because the hole in the bolt wasn't directly centered, and I believe it was touching the block when I tried to turn the bolt. Not sure what I am going to do about it. Feeling like calling a machine shop.

yeah, i think that's your best bet... they have better tools that you and can probably get it out.

werd. Call the machine shop, the last thing you want to do is mess up the threads and have to have the hole tapped.

cant u take off the other bolts, remove the head, then unscrew the bolt? because from what i understand the head of the bolt sheered off? if thats the case do what i said and everything should be okay. . .

i could be wrong though

CrazyAzn said:
cant u take off the other bolts, remove the head, then unscrew the bolt? because from what i understand the head of the bolt sheered off? if thats the case do what i said and everything should be okay. . .

i could be wrong though

reread his post. the bolt broke off below the surface of the block. he has drilled an "easy out" into the stud with sits below the surface of the block and he can not get vice grips onto it.

ohhhhh sorry, mybad. . . i confused myself, sorry for the misunderstanding/misreading on my part. . . yeah time to call the machine shop

What You Could Do Is Take Out The (easy Out) Find A Philips Or Flat Head Screwdriver A Bit Bigger Than The Little Hole You Use For The (easy Out) Than With An Hammer Bang The Screwdriver Into The Hole Then Try Twisting The Screwdriver Counterclock Wise If Is To Hard You Could Use Either A Vise Crip Or Monkey Wrench And Try It Again. Mind You, You Might Have To Throw The Screw Driver Away But You Might Take Out This Broken Bolt Out. This Has Been Done By Me Severle Time And Worked Like A Charm.

Back