Broke down hatchback conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lemac

Hi all. I bought a broken-down 1993 civic hatchback, and I have no idea what I’m doing. This car had a blown engine so I bought a b15d vtec with transmission. Now don’t freak out, but it is an A/T transmission and I know vtecs work better with manuals. I also purchased a vtec ECU. Hopefully, I haven’t wasted too much money so far! The first question I have is will a manual vtec wiring harness work on with an automatic setup? If not, is there a clear set of instructions on how to wire this swap from 16 valves to vtec? The wiring part of this project scares the hell out of me, so any advice is greatly appreciated! The last car I built was a 500 hp muscle car, no ecu, so I can’t wait to see what the 4-banger will do. I also ordered a vtec controller in an effort to correct the AT issue.

Big-Time-Rookie

Originally posted by cheese9988@May 31 2004, 09:46 AM
Well which ecu did you buy, do you plan on converting it to manual?

I bought a EG4 D15B SOHC VTEC ECU that is suppose to work with this motor and tranny. I have the opportunity to buy a used wiring harness but just don’t know if it will work w/auto trans. This is stage one of the civic conversion. If all goes well, the stage two will involve tranny conversion and more engine improvements. Rusty oil sticks don’t mean a thing as long as there is oil inside. :)

Thanks,

Lemac

just use your old harness, what happened with it?

if you dont have your old harness just get another harness from any92-95 A/T Ex, or Si, and plug it in, then wire up vtec. Wiring up these motors are extremely easy, it cosists of pluging in plugs to a sensor, extending the wire to the ecu and plugging them into a specific ecu.

just a note, that car is going to be slow as hell as an auto

auto hondas are really different auto muscle cars, they suck ass

I have done an auto to man conversion on a crx and there wasn't a difference between the plugs so I don't think yours would be much diff.

Back