Broke my arm...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i broke my wrist last year on labor day. it was hell, i ended up with 7 pins 3 screws and a plate went to all my physical therapy and still only have about 60% of my motion. i was lucky enough to have my surgery at the university of washington and the top hand and joint guy. i cant imagine what it would have been like with a lesser sergeon. good luck though hopefully you can fix it with some traction and a cast with no cutting.

https://hondaswap.com/members-lounge/finally-back-normal-441349/

Last edited:
i broke 2 bones in my left hand
and tore 2 ligaments in my right shoulder
if i could go back, i would definately devote much more time to the physical therapy exercises that they give you
its not enough to just go to the therapy sessions, you really need to do way more than what your insurance company is willing to pay for, and thats the sad truth of the matter
any time i have ever "finished" physical therapy they always give you exercises to continue doing on your own

i broke my wrist last year on labor day. it was hell, i ended up with 7 pins 3 screws and a plate went to all my physical therapy and still only have about 60% of my motion. i was lucky enough to have my surgery at the university of washington and the top hand and joint guy. i cant imagine what it would have been like with a lesser sergeon. good luck though hopefully you can fix it with some traction and a cast with no cutting.

https://hondaswap.com/members-lounge/finally-back-normal-441349/

Wow you really screwed yourself up. I didn't think this was that serious, I guess I was wrong.

Wow you really screwed yourself up. I didn't think this was that serious, I guess I was wrong.
i didnt think mine was that bad either. i broke mine about 4 miles from camp, and after i crashed i rode all the way back to camp, packed up my tent bike and cloths drove about 2hrs back to my parents house took a shower then had the women pick me up and take me to the er which was still about 35 min away. heck by the time i got home i was starting to question wether or not it was even broken. in most cases its just a matter of where the break is. mine was a compression fracture right on the joint.

i broke my..... everything.... did the PT and didnt slack or half ass it at all... 10 years later and i have no problems with anything other the nerve damage... some of which got better, some didnt... but hey shit happens... if my only issues are some nerve damage id say i made it out of this quite well :)

All the PT in the world won't do squat if it's not set right in the first place.
Try and get your doc to refeer you to an Ortho, and order a MRI and see if there's tendon damage also.
X-rays only show bones. NOT soft tissue damage.
I flipped a YZ250 years ago, landed in a roll. Got me and the bike up and tried to twist the throttle and my hand just acted dead. Turns out I shoved two of the little bones up into the radius and ulna. Couldn't even pick up a coffee mug..(empty)
Had my chiropractor 'pop' it back in place. No drugs, just lots of ice. I didn't know that I could levetate!
Now at almost 50, I'm hurting all over getting out of bed and can't remember if they were old injuries or if my wife beat me with a bat in my sleep..

Seriously, try and get to an Ortho and get a MRI..

E

All the PT in the world won't do squat if it's not set right in the first place.
Try and get your doc to refeer you to an Ortho, and order a MRI and see if there's tendon damage also.
X-rays only show bones. NOT soft tissue damage.
I flipped a YZ250 years ago, landed in a roll. Got me and the bike up and tried to twist the throttle and my hand just acted dead. Turns out I shoved two of the little bones up into the radius and ulna. Couldn't even pick up a coffee mug..(empty)
Had my chiropractor 'pop' it back in place. No drugs, just lots of ice. I didn't know that I could levetate!
Now at almost 50, I'm hurting all over getting out of bed and can't remember if they were old injuries or if my wife beat me with a bat in my sleep..

Seriously, try and get to an Ortho and get a MRI..

E

Thanks for the advice. I went and saw an Ortho. He didn't recommend an MRI yet. Just slapped a cast on and sent me out for a blood test (to evaluate my ability to recover). I'm due back in 4 weeks to get the injury re-evaluated. My guess is that he will do an MRI then.

That's not your "Shake hands with Mr. happy" hand is it? If so, you better use lots of lube..
That fiberglass doesn't 'give' much.
E

That's not your "Shake hands with Mr. happy" hand is it? If so, you better use lots of lube..
That fiberglass doesn't 'give' much.
E

Lets just say it will be a long 6-12 weeks.

So today I got a call from a medical rep trying to pedal the ultrasonic bone simulator the doctor wants me to get. Smith & Nephew | EXOGEN Ultrasound Bone Healing System The device costs $4k and my insurance will cover 30% of that. (kicking myself for not spending another $6/pay check to get much better coverage). So basically I'm $1k out of pocket for this thing.

Personally I believe it's all a bunch of BS. You know the medical rep is making $500+ from the sale, and my doctor is getting a nice kickback too. The rest is going to pay for the patent. I guarantee there is under $15 in manufacturing and materials in the thing. These things ARE reusable. Why doesn't the doctor just get me a used one? There are better ways of reducing medical costs rather than making tax payers pay for it.

What really grinds my gears is that I don't qualify for a lower price. They have a financial burden program to get a discounted price. Because I am single, white, have no kids, and actually pay taxes, I don't get a break

edit: haha they go for under $400 lightly used on ebay

Last edited:
why didn't you get the better insurance? you're a dumbass.

We had a no frills ER visit a little while back. went in, got checked out, was made to hang out 2-3 hours and then let go.

Total cost was over $2000.00 Our insurance paid $500.00 of it, the rest was out of pocket. Needless to say we now have difference insurance. We dropped the work insurance and bought our own. Having a company provide insurance = total fail, allowing the employee to buy their own insurance = win.

What I can't figure out is the room/doc charge was like 1700 ok that's high but whatever. The walking through the door at the ER, taking the name, and doing nothing more then saying go to room 4B.... $730.00

That's not bad for taking down a name and saying where to go.....

Wow that blows. My insurance is pretty good, so the ER visit will cost me only $150. I'm just getting screwed on this device I'm skeptical I even need. Generally my insurance is excellent (payed $0 to get a questionable mole cut out of my back). If this it were really that important to my recovery, I feel they would cover more.

hindsight is 20 20.

ummm...i'm not usually a dick. ok, so i'm frequently a dick...but always always always get the best insurance you can from your employer. but it's in the past so we wont dwell on it.

tips for careers:
1)get best insurance
2)contribute full 401k benefits
3)use ANY paid/free tuition your company offers
4)never trust ANYBODY. because your coworker will fuck you whenever he can if it means he gets promoted/betterjob/more money
5)be loyal to nobody but yourself. because when it comes time, your company will do what is in it's best interest. so take care of number 1. you
6)and always always always know what your next promotion, how to get there, and start to work towards it. even if it's your first day on the job, know what's next.

Contact your states "insurance commission" and talk with them stating that you were coerced into getting that thing, AND that the doc gave you the cast without referring a MRI and if you loose mobility, you'll take legal action.. In Tennessee, you can't take action on a OJI doctor.. But you CAN find out were they live and kids go to school..

After several surgeries over the past 24+yrs with Northwest (now Delta: stands for D-on't E-ver L-eave T-he A-irport) I could tell ya stories of myself and good friends that have been screwed over by the "Medical care associate" (They get a commission on what they save the company if they are self insured) now they had to get a medical retirement because they can't do the job they were hired for.
One friend just last year popped his wrist NO mri, jsut exrays, went in and were just supposed to shave a bone and re-atach a ligament.. 4 months later.. Swelling never went down and they ended up removing some bone and implanting a plate so now he CAN'T bend his wrist, and it's at a 3deg incline.. They FUBARED his wrist up. He's a little older than me so I hope that his lawyer can get him some good money.

I'd get a second opinion and a lawyer that knows medical malpratcice cases.

Stay on them and KEEP RECORDS of who called who, dates, meds and what ever you can think of. Missed work, can't shift a car correctly yadda yadda.

Hope it goes well for ya. I'm needing my L-shoulder worked on. Maybe this November so I'll be off for the Holidays.

Errol

Anyhow, go to walmart and get some calcium/magnesium/zinc tablets and take two in the morn and two at night, Ride a stationary bike or stair climber to keep you body producing growth/healing hormones and blood flow. Stay off the beer too!

Back