Broked Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

IDMaxGuy

So a few weeks ago, my car started smoking on occasion, just a puff here and there. I started checking things, and noticed my turbo had about 1/4 inch (not exaggerating) of shaft play. Realizing it was shot, I replaced it with the one off my DSM.

Got everything installed, slight differences because the bad turbo was a .50 trim cheapo ebay thing, and the one I used to replace is a 60-1 Turbonetics that I have had for a few years, and probably have put less than 200 miles on, but bought used.

With that being said, the car smoked like crazy after I installed the new turbo, now I first thought it could be oil coming from the head somehow, so I did a compression test and got 170-180 across the board on my B18B, so its not coming past the rings (I would hope). When I removed the 60-1, I noticed fresh oil in the exhaust inlet on the turbo, by fresh I mean it was still almost amber in color as I had done a recent oil change.

Tore the turbo apart tonight, there is oil everywhere in the cup that sits behind the exhaust turbine, the seal on the end of the shaft has a bit of side to side play (the one that is right next to the turbine). Is this where my oil is coming from? I dont see how it could have traveled up, against exhaust flow though.. Thats what has me wondering if I do have oil coming out of my head, I felt up inside the exhaust manifold, and no fresh oil there..

I guess I know the turbo is bad, but I'm not sure how the oil would have gotten up there.. Maybe so much pressure pushing it out?

Sorry for the /wall

3/8ish I believe, I have read about too much oil pressure and not enough drainage, are you saying that could be attributing to it as well?

3/8 isn't even a proper format, let alone size. you want a -3 an or a -4 an with a .3 restrictor

its -4, I was using 3/8 as a guestimate. 3/8 is a proper hose size ;) maybe not for AN, but for hose.

Im going to get one of those, and also a -12 drain line. I've read a lot on the drain line not being big enough contributing to it as well, and mine is definitely too small.

On the .3 restrictor

Diggin this up, Hey B, are those something a typical hydraulic shop would have? Or are they only available from an online person?

Found one, but I would like to find one local if possible, I didnt know if it was carried by eaton or edelman.

For reference, -3 line fixed my issue..

Thanks for the direction B!

Back