1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Head Bolt

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by 92slowmobile, Nov 7, 2007.

1. 92slowmobile

92slowmobile Greatest Member

I have a broken head bolt on my 92eg. What is the best way to remove it? I really don't want to take it in to have someone do it for me, but if i can't do it i'll have too

2. c97x

c97x sorry boss, its turbo

the tool is like alittle drill, we were talking about them in class the other day, any autoshop should have one

3. britchick2203

britchick2203 New Member

4. norcalgsr

norcalgsr Honda Master Technician

I would try using an easy out/screw extractor (same thing different names) first. If that doesn't work you really don't have much choice other than drilling out the bolt and putting a heli-coil in. I would try to avoid doing that if you have any choice though I'd be a little nervous about putting a thread repair kit in for a head bolt.

5. britchick2203

britchick2203 New Member

we tried to heli-coil a block a couple months ago....don't do it when you're drunk. it ended up being crooked as hell and the block was pretty much f'ed. oops.

6. YBLEGAL

YBLEGAL Regular Member w/ Cheese

Get a:
    Drill
    Tempered drill bits, relative in size to the bolt extractor
    Bolt extractor
    Torch
    Lighter

Drill a hole as straight and centered as possible in the top of the stud with a drill bit no larger than the bolt extractor you will be using. Heat up the surrounding metal (around the stud, not the stud if you can at all help it). This will cause the metal to expand and losen it's hold on the stud. Then use a bolt extractor and it should come out. Worked great for me taking off rear axle bearing spindles from 17 y/o trailing arms!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted