Broken Head Bolt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92slowmobile

Greatest Member
I have a broken head bolt on my 92eg. What is the best way to remove it? I really don't want to take it in to have someone do it for me, but if i can't do it i'll have too

the tool is like alittle drill, we were talking about them in class the other day, any autoshop should have one

I would try using an easy out/screw extractor (same thing different names) first. If that doesn't work you really don't have much choice other than drilling out the bolt and putting a heli-coil in. I would try to avoid doing that if you have any choice though I'd be a little nervous about putting a thread repair kit in for a head bolt.

I would try using an easy out/screw extractor (same thing different names) first. If that doesn't work you really don't have much choice other than drilling out the bolt and putting a heli-coil in. I would try to avoid doing that if you have any choice though I'd be a little nervous about putting a thread repair kit in for a head bolt.

we tried to heli-coil a block a couple months ago....don't do it when you're drunk. it ended up being crooked as hell and the block was pretty much f'ed. oops.

Get a:
Drill
Tempered drill bits, relative in size to the bolt extractor
Bolt extractor
Torch
Lighter

Drill a hole as straight and centered as possible in the top of the stud with a drill bit no larger than the bolt extractor you will be using. Heat up the surrounding metal (around the stud, not the stud if you can at all help it). This will cause the metal to expand and losen it's hold on the stud. Then use a bolt extractor and it should come out. Worked great for me taking off rear axle bearing spindles from 17 y/o trailing arms!

Back