Broken S2000's and other struggles of life

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pills_PMD

VIP
well.. sorry for the long leave of absence.. summer is a busy time for me with work and once school starts again I will be back to my frequent posting.. but i thought i'd throw a line up and tell you what's been going on in my honda hell as of late...

Tuesday or Wednesday night on the way home from work (no clue which) a wicked loud noise coming from the rear end of the s2000. well until then there have been occasional knocks and such coming from it so i knew something was going on. well now it becoming loud and jerking the car when i came to a stop. the next morning we put it up on the hoist and pulled the differential off and found that the ring gear had dropped a tooth and was shaving the pinion gear down.to nothing...

immediately i'm on the phone with honda asking for a warranty of some sorts and get nothing. so the search for parts starts...

New differential 3500 from honda.... HELL NO!!
Used differential in NC, 1000 coming from a 03 model with 17k on it... this was the best i found, so i ordered it.

the next day, honda calls to tell me they decided that the parts manager will inspect it and possibly warranty it. well come to find out , they are giving me a brand new diff for free. the only catch is that they have to do the work and I pay labor.... so it's better than nothing, but i would prefer to have my dad and I do the work at his shop...

either way... a big thumb up for honda for taking care of a 5 year old car!!

Not bad at all! That's pretty sweet they'll warrant that, but that sucks the diff went out. Is that a common problem with older s2000's?

only when people drop the clutch at 8k all the time... and i've never done it once... the first owner must have beat the shit out of it all the time... when i got it at 42k, the clutch disc was worn down to the rivets... totally fucked...

damn pills. that sucks bro. at least Honda is nice enough to pay for something like that because shelling out all that money for a new or used differential.

If honda wasn't going to fork over the bill, I would go with a Kaaz or quaiffe but its a good thing honda's covering it.

Find out how much they are going to charge for labor, and if its less then a real LSD, then go with one of those instead and install it at your dads shop.

thats another reason why you dont buy a used "sports car" like an M3 or a S4..

The stock Nissan LSD rear end for the 350Z is about $1900 the Nismo LSD is about 800.
the big name aftermarket LSDs go for 600-900 ish.

Weird that you can buy the adjustable upgraded NISSAN part for half the cost of the stock OEM junker unit.

Originally posted by pills_PMD+Jul 26 2005, 05:48 PM-->
New differential 3500 from honda.... HELL NO!!
Used differential in NC, 1000 coming from a 03 model with 17k on it... this was the best i found, so i ordered it.

either way... a big thumb up for honda for taking care of a 5 year old car!!
[post=531564]Quoted post[/post]​

That drivetrain warranty is nice!

You really should look into the Nissan rear end / LSD conversion though... it's only about $3000, and almost bulletproof.

Slammed89Integra
@Jul 26 2005, 06:12 PM
Not bad at all! That's pretty sweet they'll warrant that, but that sucks the diff went out. Is that a common problem with older s2000's?
[post=531581]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup, common problem. The rear diff tends to be weak when holding up against launches and tons of power. As long as you don't dump the clutch (like Adam said) you're ok though.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 27 2005, 05:05 AM
OE stuff is ALWAYS more money than aftermarket.
[post=531712]Quoted post[/post]​

Yip, it's easier to tap the common mans ass.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 27 2005, 06:53 AM
Yup, common problem. The rear diff tends to be weak when holding up against launches and tons of power. As long as you don't dump the clutch (like Adam said) you're ok though.
[post=531808]Quoted post[/post]​

s2k? tons of power?

:Scratches head:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jul 27 2005, 08:46 AM-->
@Jul 27 2005, 06:53 AM
[post=531808]Quoted post[/post]​

s2k? tons of power?

:Scratches head:
[post=531839]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah all that torque could melt a clutch in no time :lol:

350Z makes the S2000's peak torque at like 2500RPM

I still like the S2000 but if I had the option to go back in time and buy the S2000 over the 350Z I wouldnt even think twice...... 350Z alll the way.

when you buy a KAAZ or QUAIFFE LSD you don't get the ring and pinion gear. it's just a straight up LSD. no need for the nissan rear end conversion... i dont do anything that would warrant getting that.

so is the OEM diff fine, and its just the ring and pinion gear thats fucked up or to replace the ring on the OEM diff, the diff must also be replaced? If thats the case, buy a new ring and pinion gear set, then buy a new LSD

new ring and pinion were like 400 wholesale i think (using my parents acct). then you have to pay some ring and pinion shop to rebuild the rear end.... and then that bitch would just howl because no one will ever get that shit just right... i think 295 labor to honda for a brand new part is just fine... i'm going to sell that bitch in a little bit anyways...

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Jul 31 2005, 05:38 PM
... i'm going to sell that bitch in a little bit anyways...

The car, or the original rear diff?

Back