Bro's Engine Died..Options?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

psilo

Hi all - new to board, just had a quick question..

My brother sadly got stuck with a lemon: a 1997 Civic EX coupe. Nice car and all, but the engine went kaput due to previous owner running it to hell, we assume. Anyway, shop says we will need a complete longblock. Though a swap would be nice, we mainly just want to get the car running again. I don't know what motor the car originally had - I assume the one that came with 1997 Civic EX's, a SOHC V-tec...

Question is here, will a D15B SOHC V-tec be a direct bolt-in thing? We're only wondering because this is the engine we keep finding on JDM motor sites and what not, and the easier it is for the shop to drop in, the better. Any custom work the shop would have to do and extra wiring would make labor $ go way up.

Suggestions greatly appreciated, we need the thing to run somehow or another!

Thanks!

big fat crap on putting a d15b into an ek...

get at LEAST a d16y8 (that came stock in the car).

a b16a2 would bolt right in, with the harness thats already in the car.

or you could drop a b18b LS motor...same deal as the b16 but you'd have a couplea wires left over on the harness (vtec solenoid, vtec pressure, knock)...

but a d15b would be crap in an ek. do at least a d16y8.

Hondaswap Engine Reference Section

OBD issues could arise. From 1996 and on, OBD2 is what you have. Before 1996 was OBD1, or OBD0. Besides some basic wiring, your mechanics will have far fewer problems if you get an engine from 1996 or newer D or B series. I would stick with your stock engine configuration.

Any idea where I can buy a D16Y8 longblock? I'd prefer it be from a business due to warrantys offered and the testing some(hopefully all) do. A local shop that was trying to help us find a motor came up with a D16Y8 with 75k for $1,500.. which I figured was way too high for what it is.

Any other options keeping motor cost hopefully below $1,000 and ease of installation (i actually get the impression that this shop doesn't do many swaps..and I say that due to the "only" motor they could find, the one mentioned above).

Thx

Junkyard, call around. If not find someone who is doing a swap into their ex and buy their y8.

Back