Brown coolant in my resevoir

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
Looking under my hood today I noticed the reservoir looked kinda dark. I decided to dump it into a separate clear container to inspect it a little further. So it still has a green tint, but just looks dirty. I did notice that the very top is still bright green, so I'm hoping to put my fear of oil to bed. Radiator is fairly new, put on in the last 2 years, tops. Car hasn't been driven for about 2 months. My guess is that it's rust from the system. I just wanted a little confirmation before I flush the system and start driving it regularly again.

Sounds like rust. Had that problem with my Camaro after it sat a while. Flushed it thoroughly and it was good.

My guess is rust as well. Anything could have settled in your plumbing causing a little buildup. Should be fine with a flush.

I should mention, I parked it because it was getting hot at idle last time I drove it. Today I was actually trying to diagnose that issue. Of course it didn't get hot, rad hoses heated up nicely, and the fan kicked on.

I think I'm going to flush it, and while its empty, replace the thermostat.

Reservoir is good. I actually pulled it out to check if it was related to a problem there.

Back