BRP Developing MP62 S2K Blower

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MaaseyRacer

I posted this on H-T, but I though I would share it here too:

BRP, who makes a lot of supercharger stuff for the miata has begun developing a MP62 supercharger for the S2000. For those who do not know the MP62 is a whipple charger, it is really popular with the miata crowd, and I have recently seen dyno pics of this blower making well over 340hp on a 1.8l miata. Here is the link to the announcement for BRPs S2000 blower development:
http://www.brperformance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Here is a link to a miata company that is using the MP62, with good results for a packaged kit.
http://flyinmiata.com/news/ubercharger.php

With the S2000s amazing high flowing head, this charger should be an awesome option to maintain driving characteristics, and create a ton of torque and horsepower throughout the power band. It looks pretty sweet to me, now I just need to be able to afford the S2K. Sigh.

and heres a 700 hp turbo miata :D

its still a supercharger....

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 5 2004, 04:42 PM

[post=412743]Quoted post[/post]​

So, what are you saying Brian?

Just to stir up shit -

Brian - owns Hondaswap.com - turbo GSR motor - 280 whp @11psi
SiRacer - owns clubSi.com - supercharged B16 - 350 whp @15psi

So... I know you are going to go on to say "I'm running pump gas, I don't want to turn up the boost, I can hit 700 whp if I want to, blah, blah, blah"

If superchargers suck so much, why is someone making MUCH more power on a smaller engine with minimally more boost???????? I'm not trying to degrade your setup or anything Brian, but I AM sick of hearing you say how much superchargers suck and turbos own. Fuck it, I don't want to start the turbo vs sc debate in this guys thread but jezus Brian, just admit that maybe superchargers are a good fit for some people...

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Nov 5 2004, 06:41 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Nov 5 2004, 04:42 PM

admit that maybe superchargers are a good fit for some people...
[post=412811]Quoted post[/post]​

Sure, people that own trucks. I'm unfamiliar with the design of Whipple superchargers, but when faced with the option of making useable power without destroying DD capabilities, I don't think the supercharger can really compare. I've been in both, and I just don't think a supercharger is what you want in a vehicle that weigh less than 3,000 pounds and puts the power to front wheels.

pissedoffsol

Just to stir up shit -

So... I know you are going to go on to say "I'm running pump gas, I don't want to turn up the boost, I can hit 700 whp if I want to, blah, blah, blah"

If superchargers suck so much, why is someone making MUCH more power on a smaller engine with minimally more boost???????? I'm not trying to degrade your setup or anything Brian, but I AM sick of hearing you say how much superchargers suck and turbos own. Fuck it, I don't want to start the turbo vs sc debate in this guys thread but jezus Brian, just admit that maybe superchargers are a good fit for some people...

no, im going to say my motor is a piece of shit.
i limped home from the dyno and the car hasn't run since.
pissedoffsol is getting a bone stock b16a sir2 (long story) and the turbo gsr is coming out.

more so, comparing a vortech (which is what siracer has) to a roots-style, which this topic is about, is night and day.

The thing is, the S2000 is not a hatch back that has handling issues as it is. The S2000 is a roadster which is designed for road courses. Having 700hp in that car is not useable on a road course and would just be out right scary. That kind of power is usable in one place on the drag strip. The thing is the MP62 can rev up high, on that miata dyno it is reving the 7200rpm, and still making power, the guy has remapped his ecu and is now making power up to 8500rpm, he has not release how much power he is making at 8200rpm, but he is trying to market a product. The thing with a supercharger is that the driving characteristics remain the same for the most part. When it comes to cars and especially track cars, it is not all about who has the most amount of power who wins, it is more about driving skill and balance. Yes there are turbo'd cars that tear up at the track, but have that consistant supercharger, and a similar power band makes all the difference.
The debate between a super charger and a turbo all comes down to personal preference. Honestly I love the feel of a naturally aspirated motor, but cannot always get the power I want from that, so supercharging is the closest thing to that I can get. I recieve the low end torque that the honda is missing and I am not straining my motor to peak out the high end.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 5 2004, 11:31 PM
no, im going to say my motor is a piece of shit.
i limped home from the dyno and the car hasn't run since.
pissedoffsol is getting a bone stock b16a sir2 (long story) and the turbo gsr is coming out.
[post=412941]Quoted post[/post]​

You scare me when you say stuff like this, Brian. You're tossing out your FI setup? What happened?

Oh, Threadjack.

pissedoffsol

Just to stir up shit -

Two differently built motors will react differently to different methods of FI.

I bet that SC B16 would make more than 350 with a turbo setup, seeing as how you won't have any parasitic loss from the SC belt/pulley.

Originally posted by revolution8k+Nov 6 2004, 08:22 PM-->
Originally posted by sohcslammer@Nov 5 2004, 06:41 PM
pissedoffsol

Just to stir up shit -

Two differently built motors will react differently to different methods of FI.

I bet that SC B16 would make more than 350 with a turbo setup, seeing as how you won't have any parasitic loss from the SC belt/pulley.
[post=413245]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes but that goes back to my point... So what if it makes more power if all that power is not useable.

more so, comparing a vortech (which is what siracer has) to a roots-style, which this topic is about, is night and day.

Actually it is a whipple blower and not a roots blower, they have similar charictaristics but they are different blowers.

Originally posted by [Freemantle]@Nov 6 2004, 06:32 PM
You scare me when you say stuff like this, Brian. You're tossing out your FI setup? What happened?
Oh, Threadjack.
[post=413142]Quoted post[/post]​

long story...
basically, my motor is garbage, and i have to hit emissions by dec 22nd or turn in my plates.
instead of turning in my plates and going through the huge hassel of re-registering a highly modified car- I'm buying an sir2, putting it in the sol, and ripping out the b18c, turbo setup, and all the rest, and the car is going back to somewhat stock.

now, i have a hatchabck.
pissedoffsol is going to become pissedoffhatch.
the sol will become my daily driver once again.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 7 2004, 01:56 PM
now, i have a hatchabck.
pissedoffsol is going to become pissedoffhatch.
[post=413425]Quoted post[/post]​

I hope it's red. With black rota slipstreams.... :p

Back on topic...

the M(P)62 is made by Eaton ( = roots; not whipple)

so just get the Comptech SC, at least its centrifugal.

Back