budget turbo kit?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i have a 96 gsr and am intrested in turbocharging it i have a few questions one is if i can get a ''budget'' turbo set up from scratch for about 1500 dollars and if not what the best kit for the money is generally also ive heard so many horror stories about turbocharged hondas if i do , do i need to disconnect vtec ,lower my compression ratio ,and so on and so on thats all myths ive heard im trying to seperate fact from fiction here

90% of the horror stories you hear about, are from people doing turbo setups on $1000. they buy all kinds of crap, and then skimp on the most important thing- fuel management.

read the sticky in this forum by Loco - turbo 101

Originally posted by Jenz5729@Feb 10 2004, 12:33 PM
1500 dollars?! :eek:

you pay $1500 for setup u might as well give my half that and ill do u the favor of takin a plasma cutter to your motor...ull save time and money :D

$1500 is a reasonable cost for junkyard parts and if you made the manifold yourself. And didn't expect more than 8 PSI out of it due to a lack of serious fuel management.

Originally posted by hondaman16lx@Feb 8 2004, 11:16 AM
i have a 96 gsr and am intrested in turbocharging it i have a few questions one is if i can get a ''budget'' turbo set up from scratch for about 1500 dollars and if not what the best kit for the money is generally also ive heard so many horror stories about turbocharged hondas if i do , do i need to disconnect vtec ,lower my compression ratio ,and so on and so on thats all myths ive heard im trying to seperate fact from fiction here

no you don't have to disconnect your vtec, yes you should lower your compression ratio which you can do with either low compression forged pistons (JE, Arias, CP, SRP, Wiseco, Endyn) or with a 2mm copper head gasket. (Cometic, HKS)

I would do both if you can afford it. I spent a little over $3000 for my custom turbo kit but it was worth it to me. I'm actually still saving to fully build my other block. but I'm sure you can build a budget turbo kit for $1500 as loco already stated.

damn turbo on $1000?! my turbo setup is costing my like 9grand. Fully built engine.custom turbo, guages, intercooler +labor. im going to be running 15-20 psi so id imagine a cheap turbo would be running like 8pounds

i might be able to splurg and spend maybe as much as 3 but this is goin to be a daily driven car and the highest ill see it is 15 lbs if even that much

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@Feb 11 2004, 12:22 AM
im going to be running 15-20 psi so id imagine a cheap turbo would be running like 8pounds

wow. you truely know nothing about turbos.

congradulations. you made yourself look like a moron.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Feb 10 2004, 10:32 PM-->
H22AdelSol
@Feb 11 2004, 12:22 AM
im going to be running 15-20 psi so id imagine a cheap turbo would be running like 8pounds

wow. you truely know nothing about turbos.

congradulations. you made yourself look like a moron.

People love to throw the term psi around, and most of them have no clue what they are talking about.

Loco's turbo article:

my turbo knowledge before:
|---|

after:
|------------------|

too bad i still dont no shyt about forced induction :(

yes read the article learn, thats the main thing learn!,but u can and I HAVE built a reliable turbo kit for under 1500. and thats including a brand new turbonetics super60 turbocharger.
super60-550
safc-300
ic-250
hf mani-25bux /log mani for a bseries 180
450cc injectors free!
dsm bov-11
walbro255lph 100
oilines and misc bull shit100
ghetto piping 20
downpipe-50
turboedit2.0 goes in this week, its practically a standalone=free!
thats about 1300 bux. shit if you had a 3000dollar budget you can even have money left over for a mild bottom end build up.

guess what? this has been holding good for the last year at 12psi, yes 12psi on the hack and STOCK internals. trust me if u know what your doing it can be done.

ya its not the prettiest car but who gives a fuck, i dont cuzz all your going to see is my rear end.homemadeturbo

Originally posted by RENR@Feb 11 2004, 10:10 PM
yes read the article learn, thats the main thing learn!,but u can and I HAVE built a reliable turbo kit for under 1500. and thats including a brand new turbonetics super60 turbocharger.
super60-550
safc-300
ic-250
hf mani-25bux /log mani for a bseries 180
450cc injectors free!
dsm bov-11
walbro255lph 100
oilines and misc bull shit100
ghetto piping 20
downpipe-50
turboedit2.0 goes in this week, its practically a standalone=free!
thats about 1300 bux. shit if you had a 3000dollar budget you can even have money left over for a mild bottom end build up.

guess what? this has been holding good for the last year at 12psi, yes 12psi on the hack and STOCK internals. trust me if u know what your doing it can be done.

ya its not the prettiest car but who gives a fuck, i dont cuzz all your going to see is my rear end.homemadeturbo

actually that's about $1586 but whatever close enough.

how does that DSM bov sound?

I have one not welded to the piping yet and was just curious as to how it sounds. I'm using my friend's HKS Super Sequential for a while. hopefully he'll forget I have it. :D

i personaly havent used the dsm bov but my friend has and its pretty loud for stock car bov. i was using that as an example. he got it for 11bux. my actuall setup costs a bit more, i think my first kit i built for under a grand using a junkyard turbo and i blew the seals on it quick. i just decided to buy a new one and even with a new one its still on a decent budget. i think in total including the car ive spent about 2500 on it including rims and new tires.

well assuming i want to keep my stock compression and in doing that just run a minimal amount of boost ..at least as long as i can..where exactly can i obtain parts, i live in suburban nowhere and there literally , believe it or not, is not a shop that will work on turbocharged vehicles anywhere in this state ive looked anyways i was looking to just buy a new turbo and everything else just get what i can find used new whatever is cheapest any suggestions one what i need to get and where to get it any other good sites like homade turbo that give tips and ect

Back