build a ZC or A6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

88si

i found a 90' A6 for $75 and a ZC dohc for $280 i cant decide which one to build. since im on a low budget im leaning torwards the A6 im just looking to get in to the 14's and ive heard of people runing, high 13's with built a6's with about $700 worth or goodies.
or should i just bolt in the ZC and call it a day.

any one here with a built A6 (non-mini me)

will my 88 si tranny work?ive heard 89-91 trannys are diffrent

by the way the A6 comes with a cam(dont remember what brand the guy said)
and a z6 intake manifold

id go zc all the way, ya cant go wrong with dohc and if you put the lill extra cash you got she could be a screamer. Where you located??
later on

I agree with Ryangt. I bought a DOHC ZC for my 1991 Rex. I love it man. Belive me once you upgrade your gonna want more speed and the ZC is a great base. Junk yard turbo it and you could be all set. Just my two cents and I am alittle biased but ehhh who isnt? Either way best of luck on the swap and or build.

Jeramy

yeah man that dohc is gonna be better than that a6 to start with, youd have to put more money into the a6 just to get it to the level of that zc, plus the zc was an easy install its a weekend prject not a pain in the ass. Use that money you haev left to do the intake, simple exhaust, and a tune up on that zc and youll be happy, do a header and cams or underdrive pulley are cheap and effective also, cam gears work well also. you could do that junk yard turbo idea also but im never a fan of that setup since tis hard to get good components without sepending a ton of $$ cuz most of thsoe yards wont replace if the part is crap. You could do that tune up like i said and put a shot of nos on it, nothing huge but you can pick up a used nos kit for about 350 for a wet system thats complete and in good shape, thats jsut the way id go, a crx in any trim with the zc and nos is a damn fine ride and will be very cometative and a blast to drive i can tell you that much right now.

thanks for the input fellas

i still cant make up my mind im kinda holding back on the ZC because a while back i drove a hatch that had one and it was slow as f**k, just really loud......and i even raced him with my old 90 DX crx i had and i was giving him a good run
but ill keep doing research and come to desision

Originally posted by 88si@Dec 12 2004, 01:24 PM
i found a 90' A6 for $75 and a ZC dohc for $280 i cant decide which one to build. since im on a low budget im leaning torwards the A6 im just looking to get in to the 14's and ive heard of people runing, high 13's with built a6's with about $700 worth or goodies.
or should i just bolt in the ZC and call it a day.

any one here with a built A6 (non-mini me)

will my 88 si tranny work?ive heard 89-91 trannys are diffrent

by the way the A6 comes with a cam(dont remember what brand the guy said)
and a z6 intake manifold
[post=430947]Quoted post[/post]​

when you say "build" the motor, what do you mean? just i/h/e or actually getting into the motor and replacing rods/pistons etc? since you can get the a6 for cheaper, go with it. theres hardly any aftermarket support for the zc compared to the a6. theres way more companies out there that make im, cams, cam gears etc for the a6 motor. just to get a header for a si motor to work on the zc properly it needs to be port matched to it, not just a bolt-on process. i am single cam biased, IMO the a6 has more potential. and yes your tranny will work on whatever motor you get as long as its a D. the only thing you need to worry about is the clutch you buy, because the 88 has a different amount of splines than the 89-91. just make sure you buy an 88 si clutch.

I agree 100%. The A6 has a LOT more options when it comes to modding. Tons of people are getting pretty good power out of it with the stock non-VTEC head too. Just perform a good P&P and drop in a nice cam and you can get some pretty good numbers. If you're just going to do intake/header/exhaust, the DOHC ZC will net you more power- but the A6 can go much farther in the long run for less cost.

today i picked up the A6, it came with a JE cam the dude said it was a pretty agressive cam, idleda little rough but pulled realy hard top end,

here are my plans
p29 pistons
b series TB
Y8 IM manifold (gasket matched & head)
y8 head gasket
port & polished head, its already been milled.
blance the crank and rods

Sounds like a good plan to me. :)
You should be running about 11.44:1 compression- higher with the milled head.

are you looking to barely break into the 14s or get deep into them, because if you want to get deep into them i would go with turbo

Back