Build An Ls/vtec 1st Or Turbo It?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

acurabdby

Ok my fellow importers here's my question I have a 97 LS integra i want to build a badass motor for it and truely take advantage of the honda power under the hood. I want to make it VTEC and turbo it, my main idea is to put a Type R head on it and then a turbo, however the internals such as low compression pistons and such are gonna make the car pretty slow with out the boost. So I'm just looking to my peers here for some advice as to what should be done first and if I'm even aiming in the right direction and what I would need.

Thanks in Advance for your help! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well here's the thing:
If you have an LS and want to add the breath-ability of the ITR head onto it, and then turbo it, you can save yourself a step. A turbo setup will not like the stock cams in the ITR head, which is the only reason I can think of to buy the head. However if you just take your LS head and build it up, with say crower turbo cams, then you will take more advantage of the turbo. While Turbo + VTEC + Tuning properly = Awesome, you won't miss the VTEC with even a decent setup with the turbo.

I am hoping to do a LS/Turbo setup some time in the next couple years (if I can get the LS this year I'll be happy) Here's what I am planning on spending money on.
1) LS swap
2) Replace all seals, water pump, timing belt.
3) Get Hondata
4) A nice intercooler
5) Get turbo, T-66, turbo manifold, tubing for the intake, misc shyte.
6) Tune it

Then if I am not happy with that setup I will overhaul the head. Notice the hondata and intercooler are before the turbo setup. That's because it's more important to be able to run the turbo right the first time then worry about getting it in quick. I sure as hell don't want to make my engine go boom.

My $.02
Build the LS bottom end for boost. But use low compression LSVTEC pistons. Get everything you need for boost and turbo it with the LS head. If you like it keep it that way. If you think that VTEC would be worth the extra work then add the VTEC head.

Hey guys thanks for the info I'd really like more hits on this subject as I know thers alot of knowledge in here and i'd like to get some opinions on the matter but so far sounds go guys keep the info coming!!

Thanks!!! :D

T-66... Ahh, those of us who learned all about cars from a movie... namely, The Slow and the Tedious...

If you want to have a fun street car, get a 50 trim T3/T4 hybrid turbo. If you want BIG power, balls to the walls, fit for nothing other than frying street tires, and making MPH at the track, get a T3 60-1. Both these turbo's are best purchased from Precision Turbo. They hand port the compressor housings for best spool, flow, and power potential.

LS/Turbo first. If you like it and want more, Send the block to Golden Eagle, make it a 2.0 Liter, and Boost the hell out of that beast.

You will never even look back and wonder what VTEC "could" have done for your engine, you'll be too happy. :)

SORRY SIR Kid & B.. Now that you mention it, I was thinking of the T3-66, since it was what was talked about in my thread on building up a 11sec LS beast. I didn't get a T-66 turbo stuck in my head from F&F, but rather from discussing all the larger turbos IN THE FORCED INDUCTION THREAD.. Oh, and if I am not mistaken, isn't the T3/T4 turbo just a "dyno turbo" as B calls it because it almost makes too much power too fast, making the vehicle hard to control off the line?

I'm tired and don't like taking crap. I know I sound like a moron on here in comparison to someone like B, pills, Colin and many others out there. I try to pick up what I can, but come on really.. I only read this after spending 10 hours at work after sleeping 5 the night before.

A t3/T4 is the turbo you'd want. There are actually more t3/t4 variables than there are fish in the sea... Well, a close run, anyway. ;)

A small t3/t4 can made up to 300 Horsepower, where a behemoth t3/t4, like the t3/60-1 can make upwards of 600 horsepower.

It all depends on what you want your car to be good at, and where you want your horsepower to run.

Once again u guys came thru for me,the info is great! I've definetlly been looking at getting a T3/4 turbo, and to answer your question, I would like my power quick and fast not so much high end or upwards of 400 hp but i think something along the lines of 300 is good and safe and won't cause too much damage to the engine or my pocket! <_<

Originally posted by acurabdby@May 15 2003, 10:01 AM
but i think something along the lines of 300 is good and safe and won't cause too much damage to the engine or my pocket! <_<

Don't think you will get outta it cheap tho... turbos are expensive, and do put more stress on your engine.

Back