Build B18 for 12 std / 18 occasional boost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dstrout

I've saved up the money to swap out the D15B7 in my '93 del sol for a B18B, and some day I'd like to boost it. I drive almost 30K miles per year, so it needs to last. I was thinking of running 10-12 lbs on a daily basis, and maybe as much as 18 lbs every now and then at the strip. The dream is about a 12.7, the reality is that I probably have enough money for 13.5 :)

Given all that, do I need to spend the winter tearing down and building the engine or could I run it stock? This would be a JDM B18B-OBD1 from one of those importers coupled with a relatively short transmission ( need to study more to figure out which one).

thanks very much,
dave.

Boost level doesn't really matter- you need to focus on the power goal and your tuning. Different boost levels can make the same amount of power with different manifolds and turbochargers.

Your stock internal B18B can make 300whp if you pick the right parts and have some good tuning. Run a GSR transmission if you're looking to drag race.

Makes sense. I'll prob just put it straight in then, and once I have the turbo, I'll have the tuner set it up pretty conservatively (~250-ish, if I can even get that high).

Money I don't spend over-building it is money that makes the turbo get here sooner.

thanks,
dave.

You can get to 250whp really easily and be daily driver reliable. Just make sure the tuner pads the fuel and timing curves a bit so you have a nice safety margin.

Back