Build Engine Or Swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98 4dr civic

I am generally not pleased with my d16y7. I have a short ram intake, headers, exhaust, no cat or resonator. I understand its a weak ass engine but I dont know whether to swap it with like a DOHC ZC because that all I can afford right now or build the d-series. If you say build then give some info on where to start and what to do. I am basically looking for any and all opinons on this right now. Thanks.

it seems your car is a 98, so legally you can only swap a 98+ motor in there, i dont think you could really get a ZC to work in that car anyways.

or if you are dying for a few more horses, get a d16y8 head on your motor.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Jun 5 2003, 04:47 PM
or if you are dying for a few more horses, get a d16y8 head on your motor.

That works- plus you save money on not buying a new header and transmission with a B block swap.

I thought about going the y8 head route. Probably would hold me over for a few months. I just started doing some research about my engine and what I can and cant do. Ive read of people pulling some good power out of their sohc engines. Whatever I end up going with I want it to be affordable, reliable, and be fast as well. People swear by the b series but what is a d series capable of and can great performance be achieved from them?

Back