Build Me A New Computer!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 7 2003, 02:57 PM
ok heres the deal, my dad used to build computers and computer programs for the governemnt, NSA (national security agency). he still does, but not directly. he knows what is good.

in case anyone is wondering, my dad has built a server for our house that is completely networked and is runnig off of dual 2.4 gHz P4 xeons total of 4.8 gHz. papa got skillz y0. (and yes B, his computer is on 24/7/365)

Ok, smart guy.... First off, NSA sucks, I know, you don't. Nuff said...

Secondly, having multiple processors doesn't do SHIT to the clock speed, just fyi. Nowadays it's called SMP(Symmetrical Multi Processing), it's a standard used by Unix, Linux, and Winblows 2000, XP Pro, and server.

Multiple processors don't so shizzie unless the software you're running is setup or is capable of utilizing it.

the differences between the chips are minute, really. For graphics rendering(not 3d accellerating), clock speed is all that matters, a 1.8Ghz Pentium will always render faster than a 1.7Ghz AMD, even if they call it an XP 2100 or some shit, it doesn't matter.

For games, you want something that can be tweaked so that the core speed and mulitplier will keep the bus speed high, so that the video, snd, and processor can access the ram as fast as possible.

It's all about the application.

I have a AMD 2200 MP dual proc system, it runs at 1.8Ghz and I have 1.25GB of ram. I use an MSI board and a GeForce 4 4600 card. I paid less than 1000 bucks for my whole setup. save for the 19in monitor I bought to run dual monitors. I have had Zero problems with my setup, it stays cool, it's fast enough for what I do(3d rendering; i.e. Maya, Bryce, etc). It's great for games but a 3Ghz single processor would stomp my machine in about 80% of what happens on a computer.

The only reason AMD single processors can hang with Intel's higher clock speed proc's is due to AMD's shorter instruction set, so it can cram more instructions into the cache than the Pentium can. That's it. No great miracle of computer. Let me disclaim myself. I'm not trying to flame anyone, nor knock on anyone's daddy's.

The question was asked, and I gave my answer and simply cleared up a misconception, don't take it personally, please. :) :spin:

Originally posted by Vexamus@Apr 11 2003, 09:28 AM
The question was asked, and I gave my answer and simply cleared up a misconception, don't take it personally, please. :) :spin:

Vexamus- thanks for typing all that out. I do enough explaining on this board... I didn't want to start digging into CPU architecture and memory bandwidth issues on a Honda board...

:lol:

Back