Build or Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BBFROMAL

Hey I have a 92 cx hatch that needs a motor. I have a b18a1 thats stripd needin rebuilt. Im tryin to make up my mind asto weither rebuild the b18(never rebuilt a motor before) or would it be better since i havnt built a motor before to just order a b16 or b18 swap. If i order a swap itll take me longer to go turbo, but my plans r to go turbo.

didnt u already ask this question.

Rebuild the bottom end to handle the turbo, get a crower turbo valvetrain, mild PnP or get a b18b head.

Why waste money if you already have the b18.

What's wrong with it now?

build the bottom end, this is the most critical area in LS turbo setup. I'm pretty sure there are thousands of LS heads due to the LS VTEC crave. a built block doesn't make an turbo ls go vroom, investment in fuel management and dyno tuning is a must.

Stick with the B18A1 and turbo that. No brainer. Why waste the money on a B18C1 or a B16? Build the bottom end of the B18A and turbo you should be happy with it fo sho.

thanx for the quick help . and no i havnt askd this on any forums bc its been along time since ive even postd on a forum i hardly ever post . i just mostly look n read u know sittin silent n seein wha everyone has to say. I do have a complet b18a1 i got it cheap.smoked alil so i knew it needed rings . i took it apart n then had some trouble(popo) so not enuff money to rebuild it much less buy a tranny. i have the b18a1 head and intake mani(ill be usin a b16 intake mani when i put it together) For mang im runnin a uberdata chipd p06. Orginally when igot the ls i was gonna put pr3 pistons port the head n run a set of 404 cams. but now im wantin even more power than that setup would give me. btw i do have some pics of my car i dunno how to post but here is a link to them .

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bbfromal18/a...mal18/my_photos

who needs it, I don't really care for vtec but hell if I can get it i might as well use it.

yea ima prob just use my b18a head with a mild Pnp. later on when money permits ill add a set of crower turbo cams n crower springs n retainers. roughly im lookn to spend 2500 to 3k on this setup motor trans n turbo. dealn with turbo im not sure of anythign cept for ill be runnin a jrc ic and a set of dsm injectors. I do know that my exhaust will hurt me with me goin turbo but it wont be as bad as stock exhaust. i will compromise and run a test pipe instead of my hf cat. Its just i only had my apex ws2 on my car for less than 30 miles so its brand new and i love the quietness of it .

btw alil off topic but wha do yall think of my hatch, any thoughts or ideas?

thanx

Why do I say go vtec? Is it to look cool? Or just so I can say I have vtec?

No, I said go vtec because the LS head is the worst head known to mankind and the cams are worthless. Even after you get cams, port and polish, upgrade valvetrain, etc... It's not going to outflow a vtec head. Get yourself a stock B16/GSR head and you will be set even if you plan on making 500whp.

lol i wouldnt go as far as say that the ls head is the worse head made. i mean think 8v cx head lol ive got one of those n best thing itd be for is a good paper weight or maybe a door stoper.

You will gain a good 50 horsepower just by swapping to a vtec head if your turbo. It's easy horsepower so I don't see why you wouldn't want to swap.

if i can find a decently priced head that doesnt look too bad i prob will go lsvtec. i know the goin rate for a b16 head is 500 bux. and i brought up that cx head bc i hated my d15b8 motor lol

if you haven't built a motor before, it would be a good learning experence. Going NA is really exspensive though and sometimes discouraging when you add up all that youv'e spent. Ive spent close to 1800 on the block and the block is not even assembled yet. I still have bearings to get and a few other small things. Good luck. :)

onlything i dread is spendin the money on a tranny and tryin to make up my mind on wha turbo to go with

anybody thas talkd to me on aim (beerbongskickass can vouch for this) the hardest thing for me to do is make up my mind and to try to keep from changin my mind

Back