building a 2.0 gsr block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

word

i just picked up a bare jdm b18c block, with only the crank for 300 dollars. i'm planning to build this block up before i put it in my car, which is running a b16.

planning to get:
85mm sleeves (1979cc)
85mm pistons, compression in the 12's
total seal rings
ITR rods
APR rod bolts
ITR oil pump

any suggestions on what kind of sleeves and pistons i should get, with price taken into consideration? i'm gonna be using this car primarily as a daily driver, with 93 octane pump gas. i'm gonna build up my head after the block is done, with skunk2 b's, valvetrain and pnp, shooting for around 220 horses naturally aspirated.

i just read about the demise of calesta's engine, i'm not stroking the engine and i'm not gonna move my wrist pins......hopefully that wont happen to me. :ph34r: sorry to hear that.

thanks

I think you won't have any problems getting to 220whp with that setup, as long as you're tuned well.

Sleeves- Golden Eagle, AEBS, RS Machine- there's tons of good places for that. Pistons- I haven't seen my new set yet, but you might consider getting a set from ImportBuilders. Lots of people have been really happy with the IB Spec line of pistons. That's where engine #3's internals are coming from.

By the way, it was definitely the piston design and the pin height that caused my engine's death- I know that for sure now. Stroking from 87.2mm to 89mm has never been a problem in a GSR block.

how much are the IB spec edyne/wiseco 84mm 12 point compression pistons?

i emailed them but haven't gotten a reply yet...i was looking to spend roughly around 400 for the pistons + wrist pins.

:worthy:

get some good and balanced blueprinted, it'll add a couple years to it's life.

i built a 2.0 GSR for my bro's CRX, but i didn't go overbore or anything at all, i used a Darton block

dont mean to post whore, but i was wondering how much i should expect to pay for the sleeves (not including labor), pistons, etc. this block isn't going to be a super low budget build, but i'm not looking to spend more than 2 thou on the block internals....

AEBS sleeves are more than a grand, i don't think i'm gonna get those.

could some engine gurus please enlighten me, with parts i should upgrade and parts i should use the stock gsr.

for example:

- i'm going to get my crank balanced, lightened and knife edged (not going 89mm stroke with the LS crank, going b18c1 crank). How much improvement would this show in the engine? I'm not planning to go past 9k.

- whats the difference between ITR rods and GSR rods? I've heard that the ITR rods are lighter, should I stay GSR, get ITR's or get aftermarket rods?

- just in general what parts should i upgrade.....

thank you guys

Don't bother knife edging your crank on a street driver... it's harder to balance, plus you might have some longevity issues on engine life. Other people will have different opinions from me on that, but that's what it is- my opinion.

OEM rods? Not sure. Get Probe Ultralites. Import Builders sells those too. If he's not emailing you back, call the store. Jeff's usually pretty good on the emails, but they always have to pick up the phone, right?

Golden Eagle's price on an installed strutted sleeve is typically about $800. I don't know how much sleeves cost on their own, but that's about the average installed package price.

Back