Building a B18B for boost

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cilvercivic

Hello everyone, this is going to be my first build and I need some input. I am looking to run a t3/t40e setup. I want to get to 300-350 whp. I bought a used B18B and boosted it, got it up to 261 whp 234 tq with 11psi. The next day the shop told me that I had blow by and the rings were done. So now I am looking to build my own engine. Please tell me if these components will be able to take abuse and run reliably.

A rebuilt B18B head, new seals, complete angle valve job, new springs, cams, and valves
SRP Pistons, pref. 8.5:1 - 9.0:1
Eagle Rods
Stock Crank
New Bearings
Stock B18A1 block that has been honed and hot tanked.
Golden Eagle Block Guard ( still VERY undecided have heard mixed opinions)

Please keep in mind that I do not want to sleeve the block and I plan to run it at the track every now and then. Reliability is my main concern, not power. I want this thing to be able to take far more than I throw at it. I have also heard something about using a cometic head gasket but I'm not sure if I need it. Please let me know if this setup should be able to continuously take 300 - 350 hp reliably. My main concern is the block and the crank being able to hold up. I am also choosing to skip on the Vtec head, it just isnt what I want to do. ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
everything looks great except the block guard. you dont need it.

use oem bearings, an oem head gasket, oem seals for the rebuild. all of it will hold up just fine.

i personally have a 320whp b18b1 in my car. not even close to its potential, im in need of a fresh tune.

you might struggle a little bit getting to that goal with the stock cams though, stock b1 heads dont breathe too well

Wit a pnp 3 angle valve job will do da work, I'm pretty much doing da exact same build,...
My setup still in da process over 6 months nd counting...
B18b1 motor
Head- full pnp, 3 angle valve job, BC dual valve springs,& tit. retainers, Supertech Oversize valves,
Debating on wat cams nd cam gears I should use,
Block- ( in da machine shop now gettin done up) 81.5 9.1 low comp Srp pistons, Eagle Rods, ACL race bearings, ..block getting honed, bored, clean/ washed,etc..da works..no block guard due to all da stuff I be hearing bout dem.
I also got Msd cap, n wires, Skunk2 IM, whole turbo kit ,Hondata S300, maybe some more I'm 4gettin, so not tryin to steal ur post but as u can see im doin a fully built Ls turbo without sleeve looking to get 350-400hp DD, so wat cams should I get, da only cams I kno about is da BC stage 2 turbo cams...r these good for power n DD???.. please help or i should start my own post?

Wit a pnp 3 angle valve job will do da work, I'm pretty much doing da exact same build,...
My setup still in da process over 6 months nd counting...
B18b1 motor
Head- full pnp, 3 angle valve job, BC dual valve springs,& tit. retainers, Supertech Oversize valves,
Debating on wat cams nd cam gears I should use,
Block- ( in da machine shop now gettin done up) 81.5 9.1 low comp Srp pistons, Eagle Rods, ACL race bearings, ..block getting honed, bored, clean/ washed,etc..da works..no block guard due to all da stuff I be hearing bout dem.
I also got Msd cap, n wires, Skunk2 IM, whole turbo kit ,Hondata S300, maybe some more I'm 4gettin, so not tryin to steal ur post but as u can see im doin a fully built Ls turbo without sleeve looking to get 350-400hp DD, so wat cams should I get, da only cams I kno about is da BC stage 2 turbo cams...r these good for power n DD???.. please help or i should start my own post?

A p.n.p. and a 3 angle valve job will do the work, I'm pretty much doing the exact same build.
My setup is still in the process over 6 months and counting.
B18b1 motor
Head- full p.n.p, 3 angle valve job, BC dual valve springs, and titanium retainers, Supertech Oversize valves.
Im Debating on what cams and cam gears I should use.
Block- Which is in the machine shop. It will be running; 9.1 low comp Srp pistons, Eagle Rods, ACL race bearings. The block is getting honed, bored, cleaned and washed,etc.... No block guard due to all the stuff I have been hearing about them.
I also got Msd cap and wires, Skunk2 IM, whole turbo kit ,Hondata S300, maybe some more I'm forgetting. So not trying to steal your post but as you can see Im doing a fully built Ls turbo without sleeves. I'm looking to get 350-400hp as a DD, So what cams should I get? The only cams I know about is the BC stage 2 turbo cams. Are these good for power on a DD? Please help or I should start my own Thread?

Fixed for those who does not want to read ghetto gibberish.

Last edited:
the b18b1 head is NOT the route you want to go if you are looking to make any more than 400whp. it simply doesnt breathe well enough. im going to have a hell of a time getting there even with my build. which is why i got a methanol setup. more aggressive tuning should allow for me to get there.

@eg6turboLs - i have the BC "stage 2" turbo cams in my LS. they made pretty good power. i made 320whp on 14-15psi with a stock intake manifold and no head work. decent cam for a mild build.

ok cool, im looking for 300-350hp and even if I don't reach it I'm cool, reliability is what I'm really aiming for......cause I'm gonna abuse this thing :D

also, 2 other questions. If I have a head that has had the bottom end machined should I use a cometic head gasket? also should I use ACL race bearings or Clevite H series?

hah, i abuse the hell out of my car and it always wants more :p

i would use OEM honda bearings if it were me.

you can still use an OEM head gasket if the head has been machined. The static compression of the engine will be higher than if you used a head without machining done though.

hah, i abuse the hell out of my car and it always wants more :p

i would use OEM honda bearings if it were me.

you can still use an OEM head gasket if the head has been machined. The static compression of the engine will be higher than if you used a head without machining done though.

OK cool, is there a reason you would use the OEM ones over the race ones? I mean they are not too much more for the rod, main, and thrust bearings ($125) Do the OEM ones provide something that the others don't?

a lot of people have different views on this but here's my honest opinion and reasoning on the subject:

1)honda's engines are known to be reliable. i think that is a common theme among car enthusiasts and also people who have little/no knowledge of the subject.

2)obviously honda is doing something right when they assemble their engines.

why change something if its already built to last? IMO, OEM bearings will do the job for any street build. I also like to be a little more exact when assembling a bottom end, and the color chart of the OEM bearings made that fairly simple.

i haven't heard too many bad things about ACL bearings. i was reading this thread on H-T the other day about acl bearings. its old, but still fairly informative. ACL Bearings? Opinions? - Honda-Tech

the choice is yours.

I would say as long as your oil clearances are good with ACL Keep em, If they are not up to spec then swap out the ones that are not to spec with OEM that fit.

thx alot, you are right about that, honda does know what they are doing, however I figured with more power comes more need for upgraded parts. I will read the thread you posted though and see whats up, thx alot again :D

After reading that thread it looks like both will suffice, I really didnt see anything bad on either. No one said oem crapped out on them and the main thing I am shooting for is reliability so I just may go with those, however if the acl bearings come as a package with the pistons I will just use those, either way thx alot for the post :D

no problem, thanks for actually reading :thumbsup: most people just disregard and move along. good luck with your build bro.

Thx alot, its my first (and hopefully last for a while) build so I really wanna make sure I do it right the first time....hence the sig

nvm, sig isnt on this site ...ooops, "If you dont have the time and money to do it right the first time, then when will you have the time and money to do it again?"

Back