Building a Header

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

So because I'm on the UMN Formula SAE team, I have access to a TIG welder and like facilities. I'm thinking that I should build myself a header. Now, I realize that this isn't an easy project (I've never TIG welded before), but I'm willing to give it more than a few tries to get it right (i'll just practice on waste tube in the shop). What I really wanted to know was if you guys think its possible to do without the car right there. I won't be able to have the car next to me while I'm making the header (i'll be on the 4th floor). I'm afraid it'll be impossible to get it to fit without having the engine right there to mock it up on. I plan on copying annother design verbatum. Probably AN-R or bisimoto design. Maybe something a little simpler initially, but I want something that has a well proven design.

Think its possible?

:cliffs:
Can I build a header that fits without something to mock it up on?

i would say no.....a proper manifold/header should be made with the engine and car........ but i'm no welder...

if you have a header to compare it to.. i say you could do it by eye.. just use the stock exh. mani and build it to that shape and length or a little longer..

^^ thats a good idea....if only I had an extra b16 header so I could keep mine on my car. Oh well. Maybe I'll be able to take off the header while its still cold out (since I don't drive my car with snow on the ground).

Back