Building a rally EK

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Necrosis

I have a 1997 Honda Civic HX. I'm looking to spend anywhere from 20-50k on this build. I'm set on making my Civic awd. Where should I start? What kind of motor and tranny set-up will I need? How about suspension, what would you guys recommend? Anything else that comes to mind would be appreciated

If you have 20-50k to spend than your in the wrong place asking questions. Go to a reputable tuner shop and hand over your future to them. Advice from us will not help you at this point.

Im looking to build this, not pay someone to do it, and the 20-50k is the most im willing to spend throughout this build, not upfront. (preferably the lower the better)

Seriously? Is this a joke, or what? You want to build a rally car and the best starting point you could come up with is a Civic?

Let me say this: It is possible to do an AWD Civic. You can use a B-series motor and the CR-Vs drive-train. Do some searching on this, HondaTuning had an article on an Integra done up this way a few years back.

HOWEVER, the car sucked. Why? Because the CR-V's AWD system is weak sauce. The power distribution still heavily favors the front, and drive-shaft, differential, and axles aren't all that strong, so you'd have to have custom pieces made anyway in order to reliably run this setup with any decent amount of horsepower.

And the very fact that you're asking how one would go about doing this tells me you don't have the know-how to do it. It's not a simple bolt-on-and-go procedure. It requires extensive knowledge of drive-train setups and extensive fabrication skills.

You could easily spend 20-30k on this and end up with a car that will never be as reliable or perform as well as a factory AWD car, so in my opinion it's pointless. For the money you say you're willing to spend you could have a mean EVO or STi, so I really don't see the point in even trying it...

Wow, you know i just love all the help and info im getting, really thanks guys!

You're not getting any positive responses because what you're wanting to do is retarded. If you're serious about this, then go drop your car off at a tuner shop and prepare to max out your credit cards...

Last edited:
try the search button for starters, then just put a k20a up front and a k20a in the back

Haha, I told you Necro. Just wouldn't believe me, go buy an Sti or an Evo if you want a rally car.

Well w/e, like i said before any help and info would be great, but im set on this. So one way or another i will get my Rally Civic.
^_^

Well w/e, like i said before any help and info would be great, but im set on this. So one way or another i will get my Rally Civic.
^_^

Fucking idiot.

Did you even read a word that I said? You're gonna spend a shit load of money to put a mediocre AWD setup into your Civic, and then it's gonna get blown off the fucking road by the Mitsubishis and Subarus you'll be going up against.

And sorry for doubting, but some jackass like you comes on here about once a week and makes some outrageous claim about what they're going to do with their car (AWD into a Civic, V8 into a Civic, S2000 engine into a Civic, etc.), and guess what? I don't ever remember a single one of those claims actually materializing into something...

If you're serious about this, then start a build thread and post lots of pictures of your progress. My prediction though, is that you'll stick around for a few more days, maybe a week or so, and talk about how you'll prove everyone wrong, and then you'll quietly disappear, and then maybe reappear in a few months to post a "for sale" ad for your Civic...

Last edited:
I plan on sticking around, i like this website, and im not gonna be one of those "ill prove you wrong" people, im going to try, and if i fail, at least i tried. But i am set on this, so please dont disregard my wishes, i came here for help, not bashes.
Thanks in advance for those who wish to offer their knowledge, but im getting tired, so goodnight everyone.

You're still missing the point though. Any AWD system you manage to transplant into a Civic is going to be inferior to vehicles with factory-designed AWD setups. I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying you're probably going to be disappointed with it and you're not going to win any rally races.

If you do actually manage to pull it off, it's probably going to end up being an "oooohh, look at that, an AWD Civic!" type of thing that you take to car shows occasionally rather than anything that can seriously compete in any type of race. Think about it. If this was easy to do and effective, then you'd probably see it being done more often, don't you think?

But whatever man, it's your car and your money...

Buy a Honda AWD Legend. It'll run about 56K new, but if you're going to be rallying with it, you don't want a new one. Don't dump 50k into a civic, because at the end of the day, it's still a civic. And we all know how much civics are worth after they're modded.

But hey, it's your money.

not to bash? but couldnt he do a rwd drive setup? and just learn to drive good with a tight ass suspension ?

I know I'm not going to lend my knowledge to a ridiculous project, the others have already made all the points I would make.

You aren't going to do this project, as much as you say you are and have your "mind set" on it, chances are so high that it's not going to happen, that you're wasting your finger strength just typing.

This is a once or twice a weekly thing so you're not getting hit to hard. you're lucky you've even gotten so many responses.

lol i know was just thinking rwd would be slightly easyer to do lol but i do agree get an evo or wrx and if you really have that budget you should have a rally car in no time with one of those

why dont you buy a subbie and do a civic front and back conversion.

turn the subbie into a civic!!!!

lame

or take your cash to the bank,andput it into your account,go home and transfer funds into my paypal account,,,:mellow:

Back