Building a rally EK

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yaaa L O L

the front bumper looks like a trophy shelf, but other wise, it's alright. :rolleyes:

back on topic;

#1. get a rule book for the league/club you wish to participate in. Most clubs will not be able to class you, if they even allow you in. Drive train layout changes usually put you into the most extreme built class.... which means you don't have a hells chance in coming in anything but last.

#2. get a rule book. you can easily spend 10-15k just on safety gear. From the seat, to the belts, to the sfi suit, to the helmet, to the hans, to the cage, to the fire suppression/halon system, to the external ignition kill switch, to the fuel cell, to the lines for the fuel cell, etc etc...

#3. get a rule book. you will need a license for the club to participate in wheel to wheel events. This means you need to do X track days and X class room sessions with a registering agent.
Most track days are 250 a pop, plus tires, maintenance, hotel if its far, gas, etc etc.

So, you already spent about 20 grand, and you haven't touched your AWD dream yet.

Do you still want to do this?

ThreadDirection.jpg

Oh well, this thread sucked ass anyway...

I don't think the thread direction matters anymore. Everyone already covered how he can just buy an evo and go that route. But for the sake of helping this guy out...You could buy a wagovan as was said earlier which is already a d-series drivetrain. Drop in a d16z6 build that up and throw a turbo on it. But replace the whole suspension setup. Most of this stuff will probably have to be fabbed up from evos, subys, or toyotas that are built to rally. After you have dropped a ton of money into fabbing up a custom suspension, drivetrain, and built the motor, you will need to upgrade the brake system, wheels and tires for dirt racing. After all that is done you will need a roll cage, fuel cell, 5 point harnesses, and helmets. After that gut the car and put two racing seats in there. Key point-chassis rigidity. work on that. front and rear strut tower braces, lower tie bars, h brace, c-pillar bar, on top of the roll cage. Also you need to add torque damper and poly urethane motor mounts so you don't go through motor mounts weekly. good luck man

Yeah, that is one option to consider that's more of a bolt-on type thing, but even so, the power distribution on that setup sucks. It's still mostly FWD. An EVO or STi would walk all over it still...

yaaa L O L

the front bumper looks like a trophy shelf, but other wise, it's alright. :rolleyes:

Haha, well I think it's cool. I'll agree that the front bumper is over the top though.

For all you that don't know. You've effectively killed his awd Civic dream lol. So now I've convinced him to get a dirt cheap eg or ef to fuck around with. You're right about the money part, he didn't have the $20-$50k up front, he planned on this being a few year project.

So now he's going to swap in a B18b or B18c1 to a cheap eg or ef, do suspension work, different tires, safety equipment, etc, and run in one of the lower classes. So instead of a 3-5 year project he's only looking at 6 months to a year.

Last edited:
honestly, i'd stick with a d-series. you don't enter stock class with a swap

Yea I know, I didn't mean to say stock class, I'll change it.

Haha, well I think it's cool. I'll agree that the front bumper is over the top though.

For all you that don't know. You've effectively killed his awd Civic dream lol. So now I've convinced him to get a dirt cheap eg or ef to fuck around with. You're right about the money part, he didn't have the $20-$50k up front, he planned on this being a few year project.

So now he's going to swap in a B18b or B18c1 to a cheap eg or ef, do suspension work, different tires, safety equipment, etc, and run in one of the lower classes. So instead of a 3-5 year project he's only looking at 6 months to a year.
thats good. it's what he should have been thinking from the beginning.

but projects never turn out how you want them. my nissan was supposed to be a 6 month project. i probably make 3x the money as your friend and it still isn't finished. shit comes up, money goes out, and plans fall through. unless you get some insurance money from a parent dying, it's pretty hard to just put a monthly amount into a car.

On-Topic.
I wouldn't suggest it if I hadn't worked 60-70 hour weeks myself. If you want money to afford the nice things you want, you have to work for it. Nobody is going to hand it to you. If you notice, nothing I listed is overly demanding on time and even a few hundred extra dollars will help pay for new toys. :)

I'm not exactly sure what I'll do this summer. It'd be nice to work 60-70 hour weeks, I'd make bank. I'll probably end up trying to work that many hours, it's more purposeful than sitting around watching tv or playing video games. I'd sure like enough to swap in the motor I want by then end of summer too. I'm figuring it'll cost like $4-4.5k to drop in a b18c1, and then of course there are other goodies I'd like to get. Wish Volks weren't so obnoxiously expensive... So that'd be 500 hours at my job right now. It'd definitely help to have a second source of income.

Did I call that, or what? :D

I'm not exactly sure what I'll do this summer. It'd be nice to work 60-70 hour weeks, I'd make bank. I'll probably end up trying to work that many hours, it's more purposeful than sitting around watching tv or playing video games. I'd sure like enough to swap in the motor I want by then end of summer too. I'm figuring it'll cost like $4-4.5k to drop in a b18c1, and then of course there are other goodies I'd like to get. Wish Volks weren't so obnoxiously expensive... So that'd be 500 hours at my job right now. It'd definitely help to have a second source of income.

Detail cars... I did it a few years ago and banked atleast $500 a week on tax free income. I put an ad in a local community newspaper and put out flyers in rich neighborhoods. You just need to come across as clean cut and responsible. It was awesome because I got to drive some really nice cars.

Detail cars... I did it a few years ago and banked atleast $500 a week on tax free income. I put an ad in a local community newspaper and put out flyers in rich neighborhoods. You just need to come across as clean cut and responsible. It was awesome because I got to drive some really nice cars.

That's a good idea too. How much did you charge for something like that though?

Yea I got put in the detailing dept. at Honda.... I applied for a body work position even though I don't have all the necessary experience, well they gave me a detailing position. I get to drive all the vehicles to be detailed, unfortunately most of them are a variety of 08 Hondas. I have more fun driving the Evo's, SRT4's and trans ams

A buddy of mine detailed and made pretty good money at a dealership. It paid him commision you could make your own hours, and the shop was open from 7am til 9pm monday through saturday. I tried getting a job but my driving record was horrible.

Yea I got put in the detailing dept. at Honda.... I applied for a body work position even though I don't have all the necessary experience, well they gave me a detailing position. I get to drive all the vehicles to be detailed, unfortunately most of them are a variety of 08 Hondas. I have more fun driving the Evo's, SRT4's and trans ams
but there is opportunity with every position. now you can spend extra hours in the body department and work into it. or you could learn the detailing part of it and start your own detailing company. every job has a silver lining if you look hard enough for it.

=)
Thanks guys, lots of good info from the people who PM'd me, some good info from the thread too.
And i DO NOT want a Subaru, or Mitsubishi, so please stop suggesting them....... If i did i would have gotten one dont you think?

well your spenind between 20-50 so why not, no matter how much you drop into a civic, the GTR has you beat by a shitload

its called godzilla for a reason....

Back