Building B18b Turbo Block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JAY06854

IM PLANNING TO TURBO MY 97 LS MOTOR, ODVIOUSLY I WANTED TO START WITH
THE BLOCK. IM KEEPING THE STOCK CRANK, RODS AND MAYBE THE PISTONS.
WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS AS FAR AS SLEEVES GO, OR THOSE SLEEVE SAVER THINGS?
AND ABOUT HOW MUCH DOES COST TO "SLEEVE" A LS BLOCK? WHERE DO I START?

Resleeving a block is around $1000- ballpark figure. Block guards are cheaper, but you have to install them correctly to make sure you don't screw up the geometry of the engine. Upgrade your pistons and rods first- they are the weaker point in the engine- they'll reach their power limit well before the sleeve will.

Start by asking around your area for a good machine shop that does Honda engines, or just make sure you have the exact specs in hand when you take your stuff to them. You'll be looking at around 800 for a good set of sleeves installed. I'd invest in forged piston though if you are going to spend the money on sleeves. No sense in having sleeves if your stock pistons give up before even stock sleeves would. I'd actually invest in pistons before sleeves; well, I actually did on my build.

As far as options go for sleeves, there are open and closed deck sleeves. Both seem to get the job done well in the Honda camp. I'd say open deck sleeves work for 90% of builds out there, and if you can get them cheaper, I'd go for them.

Thanks 4 the info...i'll have a few more questions later on:) ...

And the mods thank you for your intelligent, direct question. No vagueness whatsoever. I like it when someone is actually looking for help rather than just looking for someone else to do the thinking for them. /rant about noobs :)

I have a question if you are going to sleeve it why not make it a 2.0 I know you want to keep stock pistons and rods with arp bolts I hope if it's stock but you will like the torque better if you do it that way. I mean pay 1,000 ballpark for a 1.8 when you can get a 2.0 for the same price. I'm just asking you sir why not ?

I have a question if you are going to sleeve it why not make it a 2.0 I know you want to keep stock pistons and rods with arp bolts I hope if it's stock but you will like the torque better if you do it that way. I mean pay 1,000 ballpark for a 1.8 when you can get a 2.0 for the same price. I'm just asking you sir why not ?

You should really start your own thread if you want to ask questions that aren't really on topic, but for the sake of the thread starter, in case he might actually be considering boring to 2.0L, there is no reason not to bore to the 84mm. Well, for higher power turbo applications (450+ whp, I'm just throwing out a number), you'd like to have a little more wall thickness, which will provide higher wall strength, so in that case, I'd recommend staying at the 81-81.5mm bore. In regards to the thread starter, he might want to keep the stock pistons, so boring it to 2.0L is out of the question without replacing the stock pistons with something bigger.

I understand what you are saying mikebergy but for the price I was just saying why not and wall thickness is good point but then you can go 83mm but hey your right if the tread starter wants to keep the stock pistons and rods then 81mm/ 81.5mm is for him.

Back