Building LS for Boost /CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RFHOMI2U

My friend is selling me a 1st gen B18A (i beleive it is OBD0) for a really good price. I am getting the tranny/motor/axles/wiring harness/ECU. I am thinking that I would like to build it for boost over this winter and swap it this winter. I am right now saving for pistons and a headgasket. I am curious what kind of pistons and from where I should buy to be safe with around 10-15 psi of boost for everyday driving next summer. I was also interested in a thicker head gasket and a block guard. What else is a good idea to safely build the block for boost? Where is a good place to buy internals like this? Thanks...

from what I hear block guards aren't all they are cracked up to be. As for your head gasket, OEM would probably be fine... since your buying new pistons you can lower your compression there. Many shops sell rotating assemblies, I'm not sure the best place to buy from, buy anything like JE, Crower, Endyn, Arias... all make quality products. If your looking for the safest setup, Consider sleeving by golden eagle. It is pretty pricey, but you get complete peace of mind pretty much. If your working on a budget, I'd consider holding on the internals and just replacing all worn parts (pumps, seals, gaskets, filters, blah blah) and investing in hondata (or other) tuning. You would be suprised how much your engine can handle, stock, with the proper tuning. What are your HP goals? it will be much easier to make a setup for yah if that is known.

I had my Z6 Turbo dyno'd at 175w/hp and just under 185 lbs/ft so I'm hoping for around 210/230 on the ls block if I build it. How much do you think that the ls block with stock internals can handle? What OEM parts should be replaced? Should I put in stronger head bolts? Springs? Retainers? What parts should I buy instead of pistons and expensive internals just to strengthen the block?

P.S. - I have my dyno slip if you guys don't beleive me on my Z6. lol I was surprised too. :D

210/230 I wouldn't even worry too much about your internals. I'm pretty sure LS internals can withstand mid 200s (250), but it's pushing the parts definitely. I'd focus your attention on tuning, and if anything some rods/rod bolts. Pistons only to drop compression a bit, to make tuning easier, if you want. Don't even worry about the head. With forced induction your not going to be revving any higher, and the LS head is certainly good at 210 HP

but, if your heart is set on building the bottom end completely, go for it. With a built bottom end you can push 300/300 no problem.

also theres no reason to get a new head gasket or pistions, LS already have low comp b/c of the pistons and head gasket so use ur $$ somewhere else, like IM, injectors, TB, FPR, and other stuff to help u tune ur motor.

you can post the block for 25 bucks and is a great alternative to a block gaurd. There is a write up on homemadeturbo.com

Back