Building my Budget'd Ls/Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMLsVtec93

Just wanna know what people (peeps who have built a lsvtec already) think a decent ls/vtec should consist of when having the following:

1.'91 Integra LS Block B18A
2.'94 JDM Si-R II Head in MINT cond. w/ ITR Valve Springs & Retainers

THANKS
MARK B)

i don't have a lsvtec, but my .02

1. for the block, build it right. if you have a bare block on your hands you should consider at least beef it up a little. the b18a block wasn't built for the internal stress of the high revs.

with the ls pistons you won't have high compression numbers, so at least swap in some b16 pistons, if you have a little more cash flow throw in some r pistons.

you'll save yourself time and money by doing things while the block is out.

2. get some r cams, or some other brand. not too wild because the itr springs/retainers can only handle so much.

i would, at the very least
1. sleeve the block if not bore + sleeve
2. pistons
3. balance/knife edge crank
4. upgrade you oil pump, you have to anyways for the lsvtec
5. PnP
6. cams

then you'll have yourself a poor man's type arrrrghhh

mines been runnning strong for about 2000miles... just use a gsr/water pump, gsr oil pump, gsr timing belt, and get some arp rodbolts, and maybe some ITR or CTR pistons for the bottom end, and you should be good block wise, make sure to use new main and rod bearings and thrust washers and check clearances.. and you should be good to go..-paul

i dislike LS/Vtec's now because of what i saw that the track last night. a BUILT LS/Vtec running 15.3's. the only problem with the setup is he had LS tranny. but heres his 15.3 setup. 93 LS block, 96 B16 head, b18b tranny JE Intake Manifold, I/H/E, cams, springs, retainers, JE pistions, Blueprinted and balanced everything, sleeve's, and full MSD& Hondata. and 15.3's!!! LOL, i beat that in my STOCK LS CRX, dont build an LS/Vtec, if honda ment it to be vtec they woulda made it that way. PS the guys car was a EG hatch gutted.

That tranny is really good for nothing, could have been his first time to the track with that current motor setup, could have not been tuned out, and he might suck as a driver.

LSvtec works and works good, you get a little more tq due to the added stroke, and with a vtec top you can rev up up up. I recommend lsvtec, if done RIGHT then you will have a motor that lasts, and performs.

Milan

Wow thats pretty bad, the driver MUST'VE sucked, the tranny doesnt help, could've been first time at track and not fully tuned as Milan said.

Must have been driver for sure...my buddy runs his LsVtec to a 14.3 at high elevation, and all he has done is I/H/E and type R Cams in a full interior eg hatch , including stereo...My fully built b20Vtec used to run 13.7 all day long in my old Eg...until I got rearended now I gotta find another car for it...i blame that on driver, poor tuning, or bad conditions not the engine itself.

-Adrian

The key to that shitty time is not the engine, please don't start jumping to bogus conclusions that are not supported by the facts infront of you. We already have someone on this borad famous for that.

Your said it yourself:
LS tranny

Get rid of that piece of trash. The gearing is so bad for that engine.

What do you think is a good tranny that won't cost an arm and a leg for an ls/vtec setup. I was thinking b16a with LSD.

Yeah i pretty much just got a good job, and am gunna have some cash hopefully, anyways how much you think it would cost to bore a b18b to 2.0L and would it be worth the money?

the LS tranny isn't THAT BAD... really.... bill has it in his hatch, and it really doesn't seem long.

See, I have to disagree with you. Every shift drops me out of the power band, I am not sure if the LS tranny got better gears after 94, but cable LS trannys suck major balls unless you have a really broad torque curve.

well if you can get a Jspec ITR tranny, it has great gearing, LSD, and a nice 4.7 final drive.

A great budget tranny would be what you mentioned above, SiR2/b16 tranny with an aftermarket lsd

Milan

ive build 3 ls vtecs over the past year...and i seem to like the hydro ls tranny...the gears are alot longer...ive found that when people with b16 trannys and so on are shifting im still in the same gear...dont get me wrong there gonna pull on you but the gearing is awesome on ls and the long gears is what you need on an ls vtec

Originally posted by dmxbmx@Sep 8 2003, 01:07 PM
ive build 3 ls vtecs over the past year...and i seem to like the hydro ls tranny...the gears are alot longer...ive found that when people with b16 trannys and so on are shifting im still in the same gear...dont get me wrong there gonna pull on you but the gearing is awesome on ls and the long gears is what you need on an ls vtec

No man, long gears are not what you want.

See, I have to disagree with you. Every shift drops me out of the power band, I am not sure if the LS tranny got better gears after 94, but cable LS trannys suck major balls unless you have a really broad torque curve.

Back