building my own turbo kit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im kinda interested in building my own turbo kit mainly cuz i cant afford the usual $3000 turbo kits on the market..i have heard of freind building their own but i dont kno where to start ...what would i need exactly as far as parts to get it going.??

www.homemadeturbo.com is your friend

edit: you beat me to it lol

well ill start by asking you what motor/car you are starting with. It is much esier to build a cheap kit for a d series because you can use more junkyard parts:

for a D series general junkyard turbo setup:
Manifold - Civic HF/STD/CX exhaust manifold and adapter plate from a place online for your specific turbo (manifold $25, adapter $50)
Turbo - any dsm turbo (14b, T25...) saab or volvo t3 ($50-150)
Downpipe - muffler shop make you one ($50-$100)
Intercooler- Dsm sidemount or starion/conquest for a frontmount (25-75)
IC piping - Misc rubber ic piping or make your own w/ss or mild steel (20- 100)
BOV - DSM 1g bov or you could buy an ebay one (25-50)
Oil lines - stealthmodeperformance.com kit (75)
Misc water/vaccum lines- napa (20)
Injectors-DSM 450's (50-75 depending on what OBD you are and if you need resistors)
Uberdata/Turboedit - free (read up)

that totals to about $390 to $725 depending on what kind of deal you get and how ghetto looking you are willing to make your kit look to save a buck. I might have left something out you might need, but that pretty much sums up your total kit plus engine management and everything you need.

As for a turbo you can look into a DSM one or a WRX turbo for which I am using on my budget project :D. You will also want an Intercooler, a probe/MX6 IC will work great, flows great, has great end cap design, and it's relatively small...I have one for sale thats in GREAT condition if you interested (or anyone else for that matter). A manifold, I'd recommend making your own if ya got a welder and if not you can find a used one for a fair price. Also a Blow Off valve, a 1st gen DSM will work great and you can get the relatively cheap(got mine for 40 bucks). You'll need oil/coolant lines, tubing for charge and down pipe, and couplers. Also dont skimp on the fuel aspect, get bigger injectors or an FMU, a inline fuel pump or a walbro in tank upgrade and a missing link will help alot( i have one for sale too if ya have a top mount TB one). Hope this helps! :D

oops...speedracerz beat me to it oh well...buy my stuff :p

i have a 93 accord with an H22. i honestly really dont care what it looks like in the end im not really planning on taking it to a fashion show:D but at the same time i dont want it to come out like shit. im guess im just trying to figure if it would be more cost efficient to just build my own turbo kit or to just buy nitrous . ive heard rumors about other people using stock manifolds off of ohter car and using it on other motors ( dsm manifolds) but ive never actually seen it done...but a the same time, the manifolds are so cheap for H22 that i dont think it would be worth my money to make a dsm manifold work.

im thinkin about turboing mine too..i was lookin on EBAY and some guy sells a full turbo kit for an H22 for about 675 ...from the pics he has up it looks like he has everyhting there..turbo, manifold, downpipe, wastegate, etc

i think he has a site : www.ssautochrome.com. but i dont kno if he still has the kits on there anomore i havent seem them on ther in about 2 weeks or so but if i can build my own for cheaper then id deffiantely do that..but im lookin for the same information

ssautochrome is not getting rave reviews on Hondaswap.

Let the flaming begin.

Stay away from SSAUTOCHROME :eek: ! I have heard from numerouse people that their turbo's suck ass and their manifolds are pretty crappy too. I have already welded cracks on my friend manifold that has been braced all its life...to this day i have welded it 3 times. I'd stay far way from them IMO, now as for their IC's thats yet to be detirmend.

I am not trying to flame, i am just telling you about my expierences with their products :)

lol....i kinda figured it was too good to be true. ive never seen anyplace that has sold a fresh off the line brand new turbo kit with everything you need for $600.00..im glad i didnt jump on it when i saw it...speaking of manifolds tho......what do u guys think bout the OBX manifolds they have on ebay?

ssautochrome=obx=xspower

all the same shit, their manifolds are made of thinner schedule steel and shitty welds, therefore break. Their turbo's are epoxied together. Search honda-tech. there are pics of the turbo that just fell apart.

the only think ive ever heard of that was made by them that didnt break was their bov's and wastegates(if you locktite the screw inside first). People on HMT have tried a few of them out

as for piecing together a kit for an H22 for cheap just search for each part indvidiually, and wait till you get the best price. Look for used manifolds(ie drag, revhard or a custom tubular one someone made and is selling) and pick one up for cheap. And for the rest of the kit just make the ic piping and downpipe yourself and get an intercooler from johnnyracecar or custom coach, 6" for about 200, 8" for like 230 if im not mistaken. As for the turbo look for a t3/t4 thats in good condition and just dont overpay.

Originally posted by ReDLiNe_9700K@Mar 2 2005, 06:45 PM
im kinda interested in building my own turbo kit mainly cuz i cant afford the usual $3000 turbo kits on the market..i have heard of freind building their own but i dont kno where to start ...what would i need exactly as far as parts to get it going.??
[post=468464]Quoted post[/post]​

first you know that you gonna need the turbo,intercooler,wastegate,injectors,fuel pump,manifold thats about it

what ever you do, don't put a .48 trim t3 on your h22 and expect to be happy with it. its just too damn small for the high VE that that h22 has.

:werd: I mean a .48 will work but that little sucker is tiny.

I'm not even going to be as happy with mine compared to my old LS-t, I wish I would have gotten a 60 trim but, I have this now and I'm going to use it. It will still make decent power but I have an LS.

Back