Building the LS head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1. ive never had an oiling problem caused by the head swap.just a pcv valve...

2. turbo with vtec is way better than with out. m2c

3. in your rant you said that a P&P and 3angle valve job are $300 each. thats 600 bucks...wow thats what i paid for my b16 head and at this point the vtec head is still better...

4. an ls is a great motor, (forced fed) but i would not drop 600 on a head that i could only sell for 200 after....

what ever floats your boat...its your money

Originally posted by formby@Apr 1 2005, 01:00 PM
i would not drop 600 on a head that i could only sell for 200 after....

[post=481370]Quoted post[/post]​

You dont build it to make money, you always will lose when you try to sell your shit
Ive got 550$ in machine work
270 in valves
330 in cams
310 in valvetrain

About 1500 into my LS head.. sometimes its nice to be different. and not open everyones hood and see the same exact thing.

not bashing bitch look at what i wrote
4. an ls is a great motor, (forced fed) but i would not drop 600 on a head that i could only sell for 200 after.........

see how it says that its a great motor, and i said that I (meaning me) would not spend the money....stop bitching boy...i was not talking to you any way!! cocksucker

no harm taken...

If you have the money, spend it =)

Making an LS smoke a vtec b series is more of an accomplishment than just dropping in a b series and running vtec wires.

Originally posted by formby@Apr 1 2005, 01:00 PM

3. in your rant you said that a P&P and 3angle valve job are $300 each. thats 600 bucks...wow thats what i paid for my b16 head and at this point the vtec head is still better...

4. an ls is a great motor, (forced fed) but i would not drop 600 on a head that i could only sell for 200 after....

We all know turbo with vtec is way better..but a good build is a good build regardless..vtec or not...putting down 250 to the wheels is impressive on any honda head.

see,thats where we are different..i wouldnt spend 600$ on a head that could get blown up..cus thats a huge investment...my head is only worth what..150 200$? if i blow it up,i just get another and start it over..you would rather spend the 600$ on a head and boost it..i would rather spend that 600$ building the head...its all about preference...i just feel like i need to keep the motor as a whole in there..that way i dont have mix and match parts..and when something blows..im like "Damn,i should have got the GSR water pump" or some shit like that..

but yep,its whatever floats the boat...and ls turbo is what floats mine.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Apr 1 2005, 11:03 AM
Im not Mr. VTEC. All my friends who have Honda's have VTEC. Im basically the onlyone who opted for a non-vtec swap in my car. I swapped a B20B into my 90 Integra. So I know where you are coming from. I've been searching for a P8R head since I heard about them on nonvtec.com. I know about non-VTEC performance. I have thought about doing a CRVTEC. But I too came to the conclusion, I could have my car back on the road a lot sooner if I didnt. I weighed the options and possible outcomes of each scenario. VTEC came out on top each and every time. But, I want the satisfaction of beating a VTEC car (99-00 Si, ITR... swapped EF's) with my high compression, all motor nonVTEC build. I understand where you are coming from. When you get your build done, I would like specs on it. Right now, I am set on All-Motor... but Im leaning towards boosting the B20 and then building an all mot LS engine for the next car I get which will be yet another Integra, most likely my friends 90 Sedan for $1K. Having identical cars would be bad ass...

So to clearify, I understand were you are coming from. And yes, all the ricers will tell you... "Oh you's need VE-TAK to be teh winnar" That statement simply isnt true. Since you are going on LS-T... you should check out http://nonvtec.com & My Site

Brian
[post=481315]Quoted post[/post]​

im glad u see EXACTLY where im coming from..its about 75% time management and steps to building..and the other 25% is pride...that pride comes from knowing u built something,that has been downed,and regarded as "weaker than vtec"...and beating other vtec based cars..cus what people base their builds on..is vtec..they base everything on 5500 rpms...and vtec cams...so im gonna base my build,low end power,short gears,low boost,and high power...and i and confident that my build will be very successful..i mean.. i can swap in an LS vtec..but then it will take me longer to boost my setup..but i chose not too..i feel if i do ls turbo,it can be done quick,and very effective...but yea,were probably gonna have to dicuss some things in the future,because apparently the only two non vtec supporters in this thread.

Originally posted by CRXSI91+Apr 2 2005, 12:54 AM-->
brian11to1
@Apr 1 2005, 11:03 AM
Im not Mr. VTEC. All my friends who have Honda's have VTEC. Im basically the onlyone who opted for a non-vtec swap in my car. I swapped a B20B into my 90 Integra. So I know where you are coming from. I've been searching for a P8R head since I heard about them on nonvtec.com. I know about non-VTEC performance. I have thought about doing a CRVTEC. But I too came to the conclusion, I could have my car back on the road a lot sooner if I didnt. I weighed the options and possible outcomes of each scenario. VTEC came out on top each and every time. But, I want the satisfaction of beating a VTEC car (99-00 Si, ITR... swapped EF's) with my high compression, all motor nonVTEC build. I understand where you are coming from. When you get your build done, I would like specs on it. Right now, I am set on All-Motor... but Im leaning towards boosting the B20 and then building an all mot LS engine for the next car I get which will be yet another Integra, most likely my friends 90 Sedan for $1K. Having identical cars would be bad ass...

So to clearify, I understand were you are coming from. And yes, all the ricers will tell you... "Oh you's need VE-TAK to be teh winnar" That statement simply isnt true. Since you are going on LS-T... you should check out http://nonvtec.com & My Site

Brian
[post=481315]Quoted post[/post]​

im glad u see EXACTLY where im coming from..its about 75% time management and steps to building..and the other 25% is pride...that pride comes from knowing u built something,that has been downed,and regarded as "weaker than vtec"...and beating other vtec based cars..cus what people base their builds on..is vtec..they base everything on 5500 rpms...and vtec cams...so im gonna base my build,low end power,short gears,low boost,and high power...and i and confident that my build will be very successful..i mean.. i can swap in an LS vtec..but then it will take me longer to boost my setup..but i chose not too..i feel if i do ls turbo,it can be done quick,and very effective...but yea,were probably gonna have to dicuss some things in the future,because apparently the only two non vtec supporters in this thread.
[post=481587]Quoted post[/post]​

I think we are the only nonVTEC supporters on this forum. You can either reach me at My Site
or on AIM - integra11to1 or YIM - db1b20.

Formby, why resort to name calling. Lack of intelligence? You're basically telling this guy he's wasting his cash on something that wont gain him shit. That is bashing.

Brian

i'm glad to be a fellow non-vtec supporter! :D hoping to boost my h23 someday. i'll have to check out that site brian.

Originally posted by formby@Apr 1 2005, 11:00 AM

At this point in my build on MY ls head

DIY pnp - free (actually got some experience learning how to port, so it was like a free education; better than free!)
RM multiangle valve job, RM L21 cams, RM valvesprings, and a good surfacing < 750 - Robert is a really cool guy, I can't say that enough.

So it doesn't take a lot of money to build the head; The reason I am not going VTEC: head swaps are illegal in CALI, so until I have a bajillion dollar to build by b16a race motor, VTEC isn't going in the car. I'm sure my LS head will perform to my liking just fine. IMO, vtec is just another way for little guys to feel better about themselves. :ph34r:

listen guys every one is entitled to their own opinions...

.i like vtec, simple.....honda woul've kept all their cars non vtec if it was better..
..ive had all kinds of motors...i like them all

i believe that an ls motor is useless with out.... 1. turbo or 2. n2o 3. a light car....thats just my opinion take it as you wish....

and as far as feeling good about myself....vtec has nothing to do with that....thats what my family, job, girl, and bank accounts, and myself are for.....vtec does not make me feel better about myself.....it just makes me faster than most....

and brian chill, dont get your panties in a bunch....you just said something that is not true..if me having a different opinion is bashing then fine whatever....he understood what i meant.....

i love anything that has a H on it vtec or not....

vtec or not, a GSR head (or type R/b16 head for that matter) will always outflow an LS head given the same mods. thats why people usually run with the vtec head. better flow. I am an all motor guy, but I love boost also....in any case i would never use an LS head for either, due to which flows better. You could run a vtec head and delete the unwanted vtec (AKA toda vtec killers) ...it just flows better. Good luck with the ls though!

matt

Originally posted by hybrid89@Apr 5 2005, 12:09 PM
vtec or not, a GSR head (or type R/b16 head for that matter) will always outflow an LS head given the same mods. thats why people usually run with the vtec head. better flow. I am an all motor guy, but I love boost also. You could run a vtec head and delete the unwanted vtec (AKA toda vtec killers) ...it just flows better. Good luck with the ls though!

matt
[post=483222]Quoted post[/post]​

Completely agree with you; if you have the money (VTEC replacement parts also cost more than LS part) and want to do the extra work necessary, go for the GSR, but it will always cost more, part for part, to go vtec. I am not doing it for both monetary and legal reasons. All my money is getting thrown at my block and tuning equipment anyway :)

Back