Building up D for boost. recommendations?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

Hey guys. I'm about to start my turbo build of a d16z6. It's my first build, so I'm looking to do it right, with some of the best parts, and hoping you guys can help me out!

I'm wanting to build a motor that will get my crx touching 13's, or better, but I also want it able to drive me around daily. I don't know that much about turbos, but I've been reading a lot of articles on Turbod16.com, as well as on here and H-T.

Heres where I was hoping you guys can aid me.
I have a pretty good idea of what parts are the best, but i just wanna be sure.

Maybe you guys can hook me up with a list kinda like this(in "()" I'll put what I know might be best):

______ pistons
______ rods (Eagle)
______ bolts (ARP)
3 angle valve job
P& P head (d16z6)
_______ valves/springs/titanium retainers (one company)
_______ turbo/kit
___ MM, _______ wastegate (35mm)
_____cc Injectors
___ " exhaust (I'm thinking that since I'm not going for uber amounts of HP, 2.5" from the DP should work..)
____ ECU runnning ____ tuning program (P28, maybe chipped{?}, with hondata, crome, uberdata... w/e my tuner uses.)

I'd really appreciate it! and maybe I'm onto the right track.
-Andrew

Last edited:
pistons - CP, hands down the best IMO; Wiseco, JE, and Arias also make good products. You'll want 9.0-10.0:1 compression for turbo, depending on how big your turbo is, and how much you'll be boosting. 9.5:1 is a good middle point.

rods- Eagle makes great rods for the price. Crower econo billets are amazing, and will definitely take anything you can throw at them. I've heard Probe makes good rods as well. Cunningham iis just overkill for your goals, but makes amazing quality pieces.

bolts - yes ARP, or AEBS. The only two brands I knoow of, annd both make good stuff. I prefer ARP.

3 angle valve job - Any good shop can do this. If you are getting a port and polish as well, go with portflow, or RLZ, or DIY pnp, and get the valve job done by a reputable machine shop. It's hard to mess up a valve job, if you have the right tools. Rocket Motorsports has some blingin CNC porting and polish work, and the valve job is great (I had my vj done by him - not sure however if he is taking on work right now, however...). Get the exhaust valve seats radiused with a one angle grind for the seat, it flows better.

P& P head (d16z6) - see above

valves/springs/titanium retainers - OEM valves wil be fine, if you have to buy new ones, buy ferrea. as for springs annd retainers, Crower makes good ones, Rocket Motorsports makes good ones, Portflow I have heard makes a good set... But yeah, stick with the same companie for sure.

turbo/kit - I am not sure about kits, as I'm a DIY guy, and haven't done any turbo stuff yet.
___ MM, _______ wastegate (35mm)

Injectors - Size depends on the power you are making. 450CC injectors are pretty standard. Go with RC. I've heard nothing but good things about them. You mentioned you have a CRX, and therefore already have peak-annd-hold typpe injectors, so stay with that type of injector, and you'll be good.

exhaust -2.5 inch or 3 inch. 3 inch is pretty big for a 1.6 liter, but yoou might be revving pretty high. My buddy is running 3 inch on his WRX up from 2.25 stock I think, and it was a big bump for him. Granted it's a 2.0 liter, but it isn't revving as high as you'll probably be. either way, 2.5 or 3 inch is most likely adequate. I would get a custom system built, and use burns stainless mufflers to cut weight from the system. These are my plans, so knoow that I am not throwing random ideas out to you.

ECU - p28. chipped. Use Crome. buy your ecu from Xenocron, Chris is a great guy, awesome support and customer service; I WILL be buying more from him when I need more tuning stuff. I'd also buy it with a datalogging port installed, and a Moates Ostrich to tune with. It will cut your tuning time down, and easily pay for itself that way. Also this way you will be able to tweak the tune yourself later on if you want to, with just a wideband, egt, and a laptop.

Hondata works just as well, just costs more.

Yeah- if you want 13s in a CRX, you really don't even need to go inside the engine. With the right turbo setup and some good tuning, you can get close to 250whp reliably- which will easily put you deep in the 13s.

Calesta said:
Yeah- if you want 13s in a CRX, you really don't even need to go inside the engine. With the right turbo setup and some good tuning, you can get close to 250whp reliably- which will easily put you deep in the 13s.

:werd: If 13's is your goal, a bolt on turbo kit or diy setup and a good tune will get you there, along with some sticky tires. Forget about tearing the engine down if that's all you want. You can git'r done for much cheaper.

MikeBergy said:
Forget about tearing the engine down if that's all you want. You can git'r done for much cheaper.
I'm mainly doing it for the experience.

Thanks much for the first post there MikeBergy. Thats exactly what I was wanting to hear!
And I've been thinking a lot about my HP gains, and I figure if I'm building the motor up anyway, I might as well do it with quality parts, and I wanna be able to run on 93 pump gas.

If I'm completely rebuilding it, and plan to run like 5-7 psi, that'd probably be plenty for me. (200-250hp with a good tune?).

I guess it's a matter of getting the right turbo setup for me, like you said.
Whats some good options for me to look at? RevHard, GReddy, etc??
btw, I NEED to have a/c down here in FL!! so maybe have to settle for a 'log' mani?

thoughts?
Thanks again for the posts guys, and sorry i've been out of town all weekend.
-andrew

You can piece together your own turbo setup for quite a bit cheaper than buying a kit- if you know what you're doing. If you want something that's proven though, and 200-250whp is your goal- the Edelbrock turbo kit can get you there without any fuss on a budget, and still keep your AC.

Calesta said:
You can piece together your own turbo setup for quite a bit cheaper than buying a kit- if you know what you're doing. If you want something that's proven though, and 200-250whp is your goal- the Edelbrock turbo kit can get you there without any fuss on a budget, and still keep your AC.

Yeah I'd like to keep a/c. I'll definatly check into Edlebrocks kit.

Thanks bro.
-Andrew

Back